• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headers

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Has anyone found another header that will work for the CUCV besides the expensive Stan's header? I know about the hummer headers (won't fit). I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the cash on a 6.5 civy turbo setup or do headers, exhaust, and other bolt ons. Kinda like the thoughts of a non-turbo with K.I.S.S.

jimmy-90

It might be possible to hack the flanges off of a set of H1 headers about a half inch or so down the pipes and do the same to another set of larger tube gas motor headers. Then bend the gas motor header pipes untill they fit over the half inch or so of stick out on the H1 pipes and weld them to the H1 flanges. If I were gonna try to build a set of headers for a 6.2 diesel that's how I think I would go about trying it. I doubt it would give you much more power but I bet it would make the exhaust sound even better if you already have loud mufflers since the 6.2 is a V8 motor.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed my intake and exaust manafolds. Then polished the insides with a sandpaper flapper wheel on a diegrinder. Do i have any horsepower numbers you say? No but it did make a seat of the pants difference in power. I was trying to take out turbulance and drag from the air/exaust stream.

jmassenga

Chasing non-turbo power/efficiency, I've added a Banks 'ram-air' intake, K&N filter, single plane intake manifold, turned up the injection pump, headers, mandrel bent 3" exhaust in front of the mufflers, 2.5" exhaust behind that. The truck runs well and my mileage has improved over stock, but its still not as powerful as the civvy 6.5TD trucks I've driven.

From my experience, I wouldn't recommend headers; they were a royal pain in the rear to install and the right one didn't fit well. Had to pull the frame reinforcement and pinion snubber out, and still had to make a couple tubes D-shaped to barely clear the frame.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
want more power? throw in a 6.6l duramax!
Got a 487rwhp cummins in the driveway. Not looking for that. Looking for a tad more umph and better mileage is all. Just enough to overcome the soon to be installed tires/wheels. (I will be re-gear'ing it with 1008 axles eventually as well)