• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heading to Fairbanks to drive home my first FMTV!

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice rig. It looks like a newer model than my A0. Some of the cab lights and marking lights seem to be different. Definitely post updates and photos of the recovery. You’ll be glad you have the MV/T tires at least on the steer axle.441A6B51-9AD4-4C8D-AEAD-8D685B83E962.jpeg

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

THAT...is one 'mammoth' trip...And here's me blinking at 150 mile trips..but..that comes with (the lack of confidence in) old(er) age. Your truck looks a real deal...very impressive..and it sure looks like it would easily take you to the end of the world. (pun). Good luck on your journey and post up pictures of the adventure.

coachgeo

THAT...is one 'mammoth' trip...And here's me blinking at 150 mile trips..but..that comes with (the lack of confidence in) old(er) age. Your truck looks a real deal...very impressive..and it sure looks like it would easily take you to the end of the world. (pun). Good luck on your journey and post up pictures of the adventure.
about 360miles from Fairbanks to Anchorage. 7 hours maybe FMTV @ speeds? not too bad. Might as well ...... long shakedown trip to find all the buggers and get rid of them. Years of happy driving to follow. IMHO best way to do it (and done it more than once)

Chism

Very punny!
Thanks! I’ll definitely snap some photos and post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chism

With LOTS of assistance from Andrew Cater, we got it and his client’s started...and headed to Chena Hot Springs for a shakedown drive. Upon building speed, the truck began puking oil out of the blow by hose. I bought 15W40 and we continued to the Springs.

After adding two gallons, this morning, we headed back to Fairbanks for our drive south. The truck clearly blew out a significant amount of oil today. So, Andrew and his client are pushing south while I’ve dropped mine off at NC Machinery for troubleshooting/diagnostics. Flying south with hope for the best. The Adventure begins...

snowtrac nome

the seal on the boost side of the compressor, it fills the crank case full of full boost pressure through the drain tube. the way to check it is to have the compressor drain into a container like a 5 gallon pail than stall test it and see if you are still making excessive crank case pressure. One caution you cant do this long or you will run out of oil.

JJFarris

I see you purchased your truck through Ironplanet (govplanet). They're usually pretty good with their inspection reports along with videos. I just purchased two M1078's over the last 2 weeks. I have yet to get them. I'm curious as to what the inspection reports were on your truck. If there was any hints to anything. I'm having one hauled to me from Ft Polk and the other was just purchased today in Sparta, Wisconsin. Was hoping to drive that one home.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Their inspection reports are not really in depth. No highway runs, usually nothing more than a drive around a parking lot. That’s why there is a lot of risk with auction trucks. For example the test run may have the trans work great in lower gears, but the higher ones may not work at all requiring a new trans. Until you can get your hands on the truck and can do a thorough inspection and test drive I wouldn’t trust the truck. If planning on driving home I’d bring extra brake check valves, gear oil for the hubs, u joints, and be prepared to fix things roadside. Adventures are fun :)

Chism

I see you purchased your truck through Ironplanet (govplanet). They're usually pretty good with their inspection reports along with videos. I just purchased two M1078's over the last 2 weeks. I have yet to get them. I'm curious as to what the inspection reports were on your truck. If there was any hints to anything. I'm having one hauled to me from Ft Polk and the other was just purchased today in Sparta, Wisconsin. Was hoping to drive that one home.
I would mirror DiverDarrell’s response. The inspection report and videos all indicated solid running condition with no notable blowby and strong oil pressure. However, the blowby check is at idle...which may be a decent gauge of ring/cylinder/piston condition but doesn’t indicate blowby caused by turbo problems, etc. I’m just hoping my long block internals are solid and I just need a turbo rebuild. Extended infrequent use is a recipe for gremlins. Plan for at least a few thousand $ ...maybe closer to $5k...in initial maintenance/service/repairs to ensure your truck is reliable.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

Mine had wet spots on the axle and t case where oil had spilled, the pics showed me clearly that too, but it was written up as an oil leak. Mine was also advertised as not running and engine and trans couldn't be checked, I robbed a vim box out of a parts rig and plugged it in where mine was missing, the truck started and ran, at 13 k I couldn't imagine any thing really wrong with the 3116 and I was right. you have to understand some of the guys doing the inspection aren't the sharpest tools in the shed Justin even told me the guy who inspected mine was in training. I didn't rely too much on what was written up but rather the pictures, which iron plannet did a good job with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks