• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlight not working

Lax

Hey guys. Here's a quick question for ya. I have a passenger side headlight out. I thought it was a light bulb so I bought one and replaced it. Well it was not the light bulb I guess because the hew one does not work either. Does anyone have a suggestion how to locate the problem? I was going to just start with a 24V tester at the bulb and start working backward to the light switch, etc.

I think the system is sealed for "water proofness" so I am not sure how far I will get. What are the three wires leading to the light bulb and which one is which?

The Duce will be in the big parade Monday and I want it to look first class with everything working right. Thanks for your help!

Steve

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the high beam work?
If not, can you check the ohms to ground of the ground wire -should be low, 0-2?
What is the ohms from the like terminal on one lamp to the other, with the lamps disconnected?
Otherwise, need the test light..

17 is a lamp -high beam
18 is a lamp -regular beam
19 is ground.

FSBruva

Hmmmm.... I wonder what the Army would have done when it was their truck... If only there was some sort of "troubleshooting" "procedure" for this problem...

I'll bet they probably looked on page 25-67 of TM 9-2320-209-20-2-1.

Matt

Lax

Ouch babe!! That stings a little. And after all we have been through together FSBruva! hahaha.

If only I had 25-67 of TM 9-2320-209-20-2-1 it sounds like my life would be fulfilled....

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... It is just my low beam that does not work and it just started acting up. It used to work just fine.

Thanks everyone! Except FSBruva. I think he was being not nice to me... hahaha!

FSBruva

Wow....

First of all, any implied connotations should be directed at the speaker... "Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

Second, Lax - you know I was just trying to make a joke. Sorry if it didn't turn out that way. Busted A/C and 30 hour shifts = altered conciousness. I was able to download all the manuals I need from the Technical Manuals section of this site. You have to browse through the pages, and once you find the one you want, right click on it and choose "Save Target As..." They are kind of big (the one I referenced is 646 pages long) so if you are on dial-up, it might be worth your time/money to get a CD with them all.

There is a fantastic amount of information available in those manuals, and I would say that I have had as many questions answered by the manual(s) as the forum!! So, I guess that's why I get on the soapbox and preach the gospel according to St. RTFM.

Matt

Lax

Matt,
I Know you were pulling my chain! I thought it was very funny! That was why I was giving you a hard time back. Haha. I appreciate the help and the laugh you gave me too.

Oh, and just because I use the word "babe" it doesn't make me a bad person does it??? hahaha! Not that there is anything wrong with that.... hahaha! Thanks Matt.

jwaller

my guess would be to use the part of your headlight that works and plug it into the truck to see if you are getting power from both the high and low beam wires. if so then just use the high beam portion of the bulb on the low beam wire. get all the life out of it you can. I have bought new bulbs that come in broken. shipping takes it's toll on old tech bulbs like these.

alphadeltaromeo

Lax said:
Thanks JWaller. Any idea which wire is high beam and which is low beam? Thanks again.
Per OPCOM's previous post:

17 is a lamp -high beam
18 is a lamp -regular beam
19 is ground

Basically each wire has a metal tag on it with a corresponding number...as referenced above. Just check the metal tag and you should be able to determine the correct wire.

Andy

pa.rich

I would guess the culprit is the dimmer switch. If you are getting power to the bulb, but only the one of two hot leads, then the dimmer is faulty. Thats if I understood you correctly. If you have one of those sharp stab testers that you poke into the wire, test each lead as someone hits the dimmer switch . That way you will know if the bulb is bad too. If you have power to both hot leads . then the bulb is bad. They can go bad on either the high or low beam.I have gotten alot of use out of that simple tool. Alot of use out of my simple brain , too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks