• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlight question/problem M35A3

I have done several searches and I have a few questions:

I have a M35A3 that I am going through headlights like crazy on. At first, from the searches I have done, I suspected a possible ground problem. I have been through the wiring and everything seems fine. Voltage, grounds, etc.

I then directed my attention to the vibration possibly damaging the lights at idle. After reading the TM's, I discovered that my idle was a bit low, less than the 750-850rpm recommended. I adjusted that to the TM. I lost both headlights after about 6 months. There are pieces of the filament rolling around inside the lamp assembly.

Are some headlights better than others (i.e. more heavy duty)?

Would LED headlights be a better option?

Am I even on the right track :)

Thanks!

R Racing

Are you using Wagner bulbs ? I switched mine over to leds and new er had another problem. 1 thing I have seen is a bulb blow premature due to the connection that wasn't seated all the way and would arc off and on really fast.

welldigger

How are the rubber mounts that hold your headlight bucket to the truck? They can get hard and stiff. Eric's has replacements.

Led's are great as long as you find them for a bargain. They are gaining a reputation for being unreliable. At least the trucklite made ones. On that note I'm not a fan of any of the military led suppliers. But that's getting off topic.

The best bang for the buck headlight upgrade is converting to h4 halogens. Just look up 7" round h4 headlight housings. Then get you some h4 24v bulbs and the light sockets. Should run you no more than $200 or $250. Replacement bulbs will be cheaper than that since the bulbs themselves are replaced and the housing stays in place.

Not sure on the brand of headlights I have bought. I purchased them from various vendors on SS.

I saw that Eric's had those rubber mounts. Mine aren't dry rotted, but are probably harder than new ones. Might be worth a try.

Jeepsinker

Bad isolators will kill LED lights too. So will not having airflow to the heatsink on the back of them. Holes need to be drilled in the bucket to provide airflow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks