• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlights

jollyroger

I get sick of busting up the stock headlights on my M-37's and now the deuce. This deuce already had bad headlights when I got it. I retrofit with some Hella replacement headlights that accept the H-4 hallogen bulbs and then I get the Hella 24 volt 70/75 W bulbs. I also get a headlight plug that will connect to the stock wiring with quick connectors. I have included photos of the conversion.;-)

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure what you mean by "busting up" headlights. If you mean they burn out, the problem I have always had that caused that was bad grounds. Make sure the grounds from the light to the front panel, front panel to frame, cab to engine at the back of the block, etc. are all good. I have cured the problem on three trucks that way. This problem, uncorrected, could still pop the new lights you are putting in.
Regards Marti

Tackettr

Jollyroger: Alright you hooked me!:-D Great teaser, now the rest of the story. I can't really tell what glass piece to order. I can see the bulb & adapter. Any more info you can share with us? Price or place to get these online. Great idea! Thanks!:-D

CGarbee

I've done this conversion using the Hella E-code European lights to everything that I drive, from the '51M37 to the '90 944S2... Part numbers and such are on my website at:
Headlights

I've been ordering from Susquehanna Motorsports for a while now as they have better prices then my local parts store, but the PepBoys does cary the full line of Hella stuff and will order anything that they don't have on the shelf...

Its amazing how much better the light is with the E-Code lamps than with the US standard pattern in the Hella Vision Series (pictured in the first post in the thread) although even they are a vast improvement over the stock sealed beams.

Last edited:

jollyroger

Sorry guys. I did not get the part number for the replacement lenses in the picture. I will work on that. I break headlights is why I replace to these. They get whacked by tree branches and such. Not saying you can't but I have never broken the glass on these. They also put out a much better light pattern. There is a flat line on the top of the pattern that diminishes the vertigo/snow blindness from the top half of the light beam. You all know what happens when it is raining cats and dogs or snowing and suddenly the wind changes direction and then you are driving into the ditch because of the glare right in front of you reflecting back. Also you only have to carry one replacement blub. Not the whole headlight assembaly. I get my lights from the LightHouse in Commerce City CO. They are an outlet here in town but they have stores in California, Arizona, Nevada as well. Their website is www.TheLightHouse.com. Call them for pricing because it may be regional. I can get the whole setup for less than $150 but I also have a wholesale account with them. If you have a business with a tax I.D. number they will likely set up an account for you.

mikew

I did this upgrade too, but I'm cheap and didn't like the price of the Hella reflectors.

I purchased these E-Code reflectors for H4 burners made by EMPIUS.COM : WELCOME TO EMPIUS.COM (part# 9311)off E-Bay:

EMPI 9311 VW BUG BUS 7" H4 HEADLIGHT CONVERSIONS PAIR:eBay Motors (item 310109568050 end time Dec-11-09 10:49:38 PST)

They are "flat front" headlights and I'm sure the lens is not as robust as the Hella's, but the reflector is identical. For $40 a pair shipped to my door I just couldn't say no! And yes, they will fit a Volkswagen Bug too....

I also used an H4 Ceramic harness, it's the socket for the bulb but is made of ceramic not plastic.

Also E-Bay:

H4 CERAMIC WIRE HARNESS HEADLIGHT SOCKETS SOCKET:eBay Motors (item 220515538568 end time Dec-23-09 11:03:59 PST)

It's amazing, I can see the road and not blind on-comming traffic.

Mike W

Attachments

mikew

24 Volt, but I did not use the Hella "heavy duty" burners. The Hella ones should survive vibration better, but the ones I purchased were $5.59 each. I can replace a lot of dead bulbs at that price!

E-Bay is your friend:

H4 75/70W 24V Halogen Lamp Auto Bulb Lightbulb NEW:eBay Motors (item 130348676865 end time Dec-30-09 19:03:39 PST)

Just search E-Bay for "H4 24V"

And there are quite a few HID headlight kits the will work from 9 to 32 volts and fit an H4 reflector..... One of these days I'll get brave and try them.

Mike W

goldneagle

I see other H4 7" conversion lights on Ebay. Can any of them fit the 5 ton truck or only certain models? How can I tell which one will fit? I know i will need a 24 volt bulb insert.

mikew

The only thing that has held me back on the xenon HID conversion is that many people advertise a 24v HID kit on E-Bay. But; if they give you a picture of the ballast, most of them say 9v-16v right on the lid of the ballast.... not 24v!

The one Snarky found says 24v in the auction description but the tech specs says 9v-16v!

Here's one that says 12v/24v on the lid:
HID Conversion Kit 3000K 4300K 6000K 8000K 10000K Xenon:eBay Motors (item 180428942762 end time Dec-05-09 13:00:06 PST)

Here's one that says 9v-32v right on the ballast:
HID Bi-Xenon KIT 9004 9007 9008 H13 Hi/Lo 35W 24V TRUCK:eBay Motors (item 300370173202 end time Dec-22-09 22:39:19 PST)

I don't know anything about the above sellers, just a couple I quickly looked up to demonstrate what I had found.

The second part is the way they get high and low beams is by sliding the xenon bulb forwards and backwards with a solenoid (changing the focal point of light inside the reflector). But I haven't found any seller that confirms what voltage the solenoid is rated for. The ballast (which is basicly a fancy switching power supply, like what's in your computer) can easily be made to handle a range of input voltages, but a solenoid is made for a specific voltage.

Running 24v through a 12v solenoid would be kind of like running 220v A/C trhough a 110v A/C motor, it wil run like a scalded cat... for a little while, then smoke!

Mike W

Attachments

Snarky

The only thing that has held me back on the xenon HID conversion is that many people advertise a 24v HID kit on E-Bay. But; if they give you a picture of the ballast, most of them say 9v-16v right on the lid of the ballast.... not 24v!

The one Snarky found says 24v in the auction description but the tech specs says 9v-16v!

Here's one that says 12v/24v on the lid:
HID Conversion Kit 3000K 4300K 6000K 8000K 10000K Xenon:eBay Motors (item 180428942762 end time Dec-05-09 13:00:06 PST)

Here's one that says 9v-32v right on the ballast:
HID Bi-Xenon KIT 9004 9007 9008 H13 Hi/Lo 35W 24V TRUCK:eBay Motors (item 300370173202 end time Dec-22-09 22:39:19 PST)

I don't know anything about the above sellers, just a couple I quickly looked up to demonstrate what I had found.

The second part is the way they get high and low beams is by sliding the xenon bulb forwards and backwards with a solenoid (changing the focal point of light inside the reflector). But I haven't found any seller that confirms what voltage the solenoid is rated for. The ballast (which is basicly a fancy switching power supply, like what's in your computer) can easily be made to handle a range of input voltages, but a solenoid is made for a specific voltage.

Running 24v through a 12v solenoid would be kind of like running 220v A/C trhough a 110v A/C motor, it wil run like a scalded cat... for a little while, then smoke!

Mike W
Never really paid much attention to it. I would think that they sell you a 12v system with diodes installed in the harnesses, but good luck getting an answer from them. Maybe they are just stock pictures?

jimm1009

Not trying to put a damper on things but the max legal wattage is 60 bright & 55 dim in order to meet DOT specs and pass inspection.
I know that H4 lights are nice and I have also been using them for 10+ years in my M1009 but they are 12 volt units of course and are 60 / 55 which keeps the wattage within guidelines and I've never had a problem with too bright & being pulled over.
Does anyone have the 24 volt 60 / 55 watt H4's in use and if so where did you get them?

jimm1009

hklvette

I know this is an old topic, but I've put the same 70/75W setup on my deuce and they're fantastic. Ordered my parts from Susquehanna. They are vastly superior to DOT spec, as even with the high wattage you won't blind oncoming traffic or the person in front of you due to the cut-off pattern that they use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks