• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headphones recommendations while driving Deuce

pcbowman

Does anyone have a recommendation for headphones to use with an MP3 player while driving the duece for long periods? I am no sure that noise cancellation headphones would be enough. Please let me know what you have found that works.

surpdlr

Re: Headphones recommendations while driving Duece

pcbowman said:
Does anyone have a recommendation for headphones to use with an MP3 player while driving the duece for long periods? I am no sure that noise cancellation headphones would be enough. Please let me know what you have found that works.
You do realize it is Illegal in most states to use headphones while operating a motor vehicle....

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: Headphones recommendations while driving Duece

What you need is an intercom for your duece. That will provice both hearing protection, communication to others in the cab, and it is possible to hook in both radio and cell. I suggest a modern aviation setup. It is high quality, and all parts are available in stores or auction. I went with Flightcom brand equipment due to some good deals. If it happens to be illegal in any state I am running thru I will take the ticket, but I am not going to lose any more hearing then I already have. These vehicles are labeled as needing hearing protection to operate. Read the following links to intercom threads.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=94287&highlight=#94287
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....opic&t=8361&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=93706&highlight=#93706

FreightTrain

Banned

All I gotta say is,if I ever get pulled over and they want to write me a ticket for the hearing protection I will let them ride down the road a bit without anything and see if they want to continue with the ticket.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

although it's useless to argue with a cop, the page of the manual declaring the requirement for hearing protection could be of some value if you run into an overzealous ijut.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Not that it would help but you could point out that it's used similar to the one firetrucks have, thats for an intercom of course.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Is there a difference between listening to music, using an intercom or just using ear plugs?

Barrman

I had this same concern about legality before I installed the intercom in my M715. I searched the state codes on line and couldn't find anything. I finally ended up calling DPS (Texas Department of Public Safety which is like every other states State Police.) I worked my way up the chain of command until I got to one of the big wigs. He told me he didn't see a difference between me wearing aircraft type headphones in a truck and "some of those punk kids that have radios so loud they shake other cars." He said I could probably hear more of what was going on around me than those "punks."

I have worn the head sets all over the state in the almost 2 years since then. That is with no top and my head exposed to anybody that sees me. I have only gotten waves and head bobs from most officers I see.

I realize every state is different in the letter of the law. But, I think the comon respect/admiration/awe/mental dismissal given to just about any military vehicle by Law Officers is on your side. The warning about hearing protection is a big plus too.

greensix

I use vic-1 intercom with cvc helmets coupled with my radio in my m35a2 the noise canceling mics are great. I can talk to my passenger or someone in the troop seat in the back.

Jones

I think the difference boils down to being able to hear outside noises, although muffled, which still gives you the ability to be aware of traffic and approaching emergency vehicles. If listening to radio or for that matter, tv or videos wth DVD systems, you can end up completely distracted by music or story line. Granted, with an intercom you're distracted and your hearing is impaired-- but only during conversation.
We use headsets but with only one ear cup. The uncovered ear is protected by an ear plug.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I use ear plugs or VIC-1 on the highway, nothing "around town" like to hear the engine better when shifting. The VIC-1 lets me listen in on the CB.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

I think that I can hear things like horns and sirens better with hearing protection as my attention is not overtaken by a loud background noise like exhaust. A siren is a very distinct sound that is designed to get attention, and as such I have had no trouble hearing them. Mind you I night not hear it as soon, but then again if I am deaf I won't be able to hear it at all. The intercom setup I have allows me to hook up my CBs output, but I can't broadcast. I have not really tried to overcome that though as I don't use CB much.

rmgill

readyman

The wireless Peltors have an audio input for a player/CB. Plug at the bottom of earpiece.
Some models have an exterior mike for outside(but volume controlled) conversation. The foam bud at the lower front of earpiece.

I've picked them up on Ebay for $50-$75, NOS. Maybe outdated models.

The only minor problem on the FRS freqs is the occasional 'kiddie' walkie-talkie comm-traffic when you're trying to maintain parade decorum.

BTW That's some spray can 383, they were baby blue originally.

Attachments

tamangel

California's Code Section 27400

Wearing of Headsets or Earplugs

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

Amended Sec. 45, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

JDToumanian

A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels.
There's our 'out' right there. I knew it had to be there, as they can't force you to damage your hearing. I wear a Peltor Tactical 7 electronic attenuating headset - same one I use when shooting - and it's very nice, but I'm really interested in this VIC-1 setup...

Jon

We use the H161 headphones with the VIC-1. I think they are OK, although they get uncomfortable when you have to wear them for a few hours. We also found that they are a little tricky with the cable setup.
Apparantly we have at least one set with a faulty cable.
Does anyone know if there are repair-kits for the H161 headsets?

Maverick1701

Wearing of Headsets or Earplugs

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

Amended Sec. 45, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
I dunno about that... those are calif laws....and we all know about calif lol

Attachments

Maverick1701

Also is there a headset out there that is battery powered that has an input for an audio device? (Zune/ipod/etc)

I dont really want/have the money to put in a high dollar system into my truck and this would be a cheap alternative....i cant really find anything