• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heads up/NOCO chargers are 50% off at Amazon today (11-29-21)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered a battery for my Roadking and it was $60.00 off. I was looking at ordering it a few days ago and I’m glad I didn’t. Thanks for the heads up

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The big problem here is it's not actually 50% off, or however much they are claiming.
If you go straight to the NO.CO website, all of the prices are 20-30% lower than the amazon listings.

Still a sale price, but not a major one.

Correction, a couple of them are the same price, like the GB50 is normally 149.95 either place, but things like the Genius2X2 are listed as $124.95 list price on amazon and only 99.95 on NO.CO

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that I read a post where someone is using the double 12v charger and running a lead to each battery. Maybe someone can confirm if it’s true or if I understood it wrong
No reason that won't work. But 24V would be so much better, either wired into the battery posts, or connected to a slave plug for intermittent use.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that I read a post where someone is using the double 12v charger and running a lead to each battery. Maybe someone can confirm if it’s true or if I understood it wrong
You understood it correctly. Using a multi battery charger with leads to each battery is a better charging method than using a single 24V charger, especially if your truck is still using a 60 amp generator.

24V is easier if it isn't a permanent installation.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You understood it correctly. Using a multi battery charger with leads to each battery is a better charging method than using a single 24V charger, especially if your truck is still using a 60 amp generator.

24V is easier if it isn't a permanent installation.
This is only true if the "banks" are truly isolated, MANY multi bank chargers have common negative leads, this could lead one to let the smoke out in a hurry!
I have no experience with the OP brand.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is only true if the "banks" are truly isolated, MANY multi bank chargers have common negative leads, this could lead one to let the smoke out in a hurry!
I have no experience with the OP brand.
For the NO.CO GEN5X2 2 bank 5 amp charger someone asks a similar question:

Question:
Q:I have 2 12 volt trolling motors wired to provide 24 bolts. Does the crossover wire need disconnected for charging?Do you hook it up with cross over
Answer:
Each 12V battery should be connected to its own charging bank. The batteries do not need to be disconnected from each other.
By NOCO Support MANUFACTURER on May 4, 2021

So going by this, there should be no issues leaving them in series.

cagosti

Charging the batteries separately at 12 volts in a 24 volt system is WAY better than trying to charge two 12 volt batteries in series at 24 volts , any weak cell in the system will prevent the other battery from charging. If the world was right you would charge each 2 volt cell in a wet cell on its own using a whole bunch of separate chargers. Yes the dual bank marine style charger with two separate cable pairs is a great way to keep parked military. vehicles ready.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went on amazon and put 24 volt solar charger in the search box they start at 40 to 80 bucks they have 1 that you see on army stuff but its 240 bucks its od green you cant miss it

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Charging the batteries separately at 12 volts in a 24 volt system is WAY better than trying to charge two 12 volt batteries in series at 24 volts , any weak cell in the system will prevent the other battery from charging. If the world was right you would charge each 2 volt cell in a wet cell on its own using a whole bunch of separate chargers. Yes the dual bank marine style charger with two separate cable pairs is a great way to keep parked military. vehicles ready.
While that does have some validity, if you have a week cell you have a week cell no matter how you charge it you still have a bad battery, if you have a 60A alternator you are always charging at 24V (28.2V or so) while driving.
This is why I always replace both batteries and try as hard as I can to get matching date codes.

SO charged separate or not if one battery is defective it really matters not if it effects the "good" one, they both get replaced.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the NO.CO GEN5X2 2 bank 5 amp charger someone asks a similar question:

Question:
Q:I have 2 12 volt trolling motors wired to provide 24 bolts. Does the crossover wire need disconnected for charging?Do you hook it up with cross over
Answer:
Each 12V battery should be connected to its own charging bank. The batteries do not need to be disconnected from each other.
By NOCO Support MANUFACTURER on May 4, 2021

So going by this, there should be no issues leaving them in series.
It was kind of funny/sad reading some of the reviews on this particular charger.
It seems like a few of these units have one output set fail, while the other still works.
The second most common 1 star review is people who don't understand that if you have batteries wired in parallel, they constitute a single 12V battery bank. For some reason they think the batteries should each be their own "bank" when wired in parallel, and even try to argue that the charger is defective, as one half of the unit shows overcharge warnings with the other output connected to the same bank.

Multiple more questions/answers where people use this charger on 2 12V batteries in series with no issues.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOCO chargers are great. I now have 6 NOCO chargers, 5 that will charge 24 VDC and one that charges two 12 VDC at the same time. They make very good chargers.

diesel dave

Mogman is 100% correct. Any heavy duty diesel shop will tell you that when you have a weak battery in a multiple setup,be it 2,3,or 4 batteries,you ALWAYS should replace all batteries in the system. If you only replace the weak battery,you will be constantly be “chasing “batteries as the others will fail. In other words,you’ll have constant battery failures every 6 to 12 months.
live been using the multiple bank Min Kota charger for my 24V trolling motor batteries for years.Can be wired permantly to the batteries so all you need to do is “plug in”. Used to be a little over $100. Don’t know today’s prices.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks