• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heat and Hubs?? Pics!!!!!

wsucougarx

Hey guys, I took my deuce to church this afternoon. It was only about a 15 miles drive. When I arrived at my destination I decided to feel the hubs. I am new to the whole deuce thing so I'm not sure how warm the hubs should be. 3 out 4 hubs in the rear were pretty warm to the touch. In fact I was able to keep my palm on the 3 hubs for about 15 seconds before I had to take my hand off due to the warmth/hotness of the hub. The 4th hub was just a little warm. The front two hubs were no problem at all. My question is how warm are my hubs suppose to be during normal driving without a load. I also noticed my transfer case and tranny were too warm to keep my palm on for no more than 3 or 4 seconds. Please advise

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought did you feel the brake drums on the hotter hubs as maybe there is some heat transfer from them to the hubs?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adjust your brakes. They must be dragging, to heat things up that much, in such q short little drive. The trans & T-case are hot because of the brake drag. Test: Get truck rolling a couple of MPH on level ground - push in clutch - truck should coast for at least a couple of feet. Jack up a rear wheel - you should be able to roll wheel over by hand. If not - adjust brakes, that should solve problem.

Le in Alaska

jasonjc

I would check all the wheel brearings , repack them and adjust the brakes and when its all apart go ahead and repace/rebuild the wheel cycinders. Check the grear oil in the in all the cases make shure its good and to the proper level.
Just because it looks good on the outside does not mean it's good on the inside. I found a lot of things in bad shape on my truck and/or just plane done wrong.

CCATLETT1984

jim, not true for every vehicle. I can drive in the city all day long and get out of my truck and the rotore are cool to the touch. Unless you ride your brakes there is no reason for the rotors on your car to be hot unless you have done some heavy braking.

In regards to the deuce. I would pull the inspection cover and see if they are dragging. If not then I would pull one of the axleshafts and look at the hub bearings.

LanceRobson

Disc brakes will tend to show more heat than drums that haven't been worked hard because there is no mechanism to pull the pads well clear of the rotors like a brake shoe return spring. It's an apples and oranges thing. Sticky pistons or rotors with excessive run out will show the most heat.

I agree that one possible cause is a dragging brake. The other likely cause is, as stated, poor bearing lube. The bearing should not be anywhere near uncomfortably hot without a lot of heavy braking just before the check.

A good, safe way to check for heat is to put your hand on the wheel several inches away from the hub and slid it toward the hub. If something is really hot it, such as heat soaking after a a lot of braking, or a failed bearing, it'll give you some warning without leaving your skin on the hub.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, Thanks Tommy, I saved that in my TM's file.

jim-m35a2

CCATLETT1984 said:
jim, not true for every vehicle. I can drive in the city all day long and get out of my truck and the rotore are cool to the touch. Unless you ride your brakes there is no reason for the rotors on your car to be hot unless you have done some heavy braking.

In regards to the deuce. I would pull the inspection cover and see if they are dragging. If not then I would pull one of the axleshafts and look at the hub bearings.
Hmmmmm! How about low blinker fluid in the rear tank? It is possible the rear tank is low on blinker fuild. That will cause exessive voltage to be drawn by the rear blinkers and the excess heat would move to the tires that are under inflated. Did you check your tire pressure? I think there is a TM on that or maybe an udate.
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited:

beaubeau

Most simple and thorough inspection. Chock the truck so it does not roll in Neutral and with E brake off. Jack up a wheel, pull just the axel, see if there is greese on the outer bearing. If there is, most likely the inner BR. is OK. If dry, Pull bearings and inspect and Re- pack. Check for oil on brake shoes. Be surre to tighten to spects. Turn the Wheels, they should turn freely, if not release Brk Adj. and readjust brakes so the wheel turns freely. Good luck, Phil

cbvet

Probably nothing at all wrong. Brake heat transfer is normal on my trucks.
But of course if you've never had the drums off, it would be a good idea to do so.
May find some stuck wheel cylinders, broken springs, or bad wheel bearings.
Make sure you have some freeplay in the brake pedal too.

maxim

You can obtain a thermal 'shooter' from the auto parts for around $50. I check them often. You will learn which ones get hot an can watch the transmission and case, differentials. A handy item.

I had bearing go out and needed a tow and nearly destroyed the hub. Do a bearing and brake service then you knoe condition of some 30 year old axles.