• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heat Blower Bogging the Electrical?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morning I drove the M1009 to work like always, only today I was getting a lot of belt squeal, and eventually the belt was squealing all the time. In the parking lot I tried a few things and it seems to be isolated to the heater blower. When it's on, the voltmeter is just into the low yellow and the electrical system seems to be bogged down. When it's off everything seems to be normal.

Easy fix? Thoughts?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it has nothing to do with the blower whatsoever. I checked both alternator belts and they're tight, but on a whim I poked the PS belt and it was loose as a goose. Seems the outboard-most bolt unscrewed itself and departed the fix. The washer was still laying on the frame rail oddly enough. The washer was an add-on that I put there after I had the cracked PS pump bracket welded. I probably should put a lock washer between the bolt head and the flat washer, or lockwire it. Should be an easy fix if I can find a bolt in my big box-o-bolts that will fit in the hole.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It just keeps getting worse. The bolt did not back out- it broke. I drilled it out easily without removing the pump. I had a couple bolts that fit the hole so no problem there.

The bracket is cracked... AGAIN. This time it cracked at the center slotted adjustment hole. Right now only one side is cracked, but I can't get the belt tight enough to stop the squealing belts. I hope I can get it welded without removing the pump from the bracket because the pulling slot in the pulley is so buggered up from the last time I took it off. :x

Attachments

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, yes there is!

By some stroke of weird luck I noticed the bracket in the first picture, below, and asked what it was in another thread. This was a weird bracket facing up with a curved adjustment slot.

Then I looked through the -20 and noticed it was supposed to be facing the front (not up) and connected to the power steering pump (#9 in the second pic). So once I get this bracket re-welded I'll find a bolt that fits (#7 in the pic).

I really don't know why it was never connected. I got the truck from the guy that got it from the auction. He didn't do anything to it other than clean it up. He told me that he spoke to the unit that had it when it was a range truck at Ft Lewis and they told him they had just put a new motor in it. So I wonder if that bracket is turned as shown in the first photo when a motor is dropped in, and the army mechs forgot to turn it and connect it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

That bolt under the #1 cylinder is a constant problem on 2 of my trucks. They all work loose. I have torqued to spec, used Threadlocker Red, torqued beyond spec, tried lock washers, etc... Now I just check it every time I check the oil. That and the two bolts for the starter motor support bracket are part of my normal vehicle check sequence now. Diesels are hard on fasteners.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks