• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heat shield sound deadener over muffler area

ramdough

I am planning a water tank above my muffler. I thought about adhering DEI hood liner to the underside of the pan that holds the tank.

Dynamat 11905 Hoodliner 32" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00069QLVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_R0TE61S6ZNX7NHFQ0ETC

The 3/4” liner will be probably touching the screw heads that hold muffler in place.

I have absolutely no idea how much heat that thing puts off or if I need a more substantial insulator.

I am concerned the heat will damage the liner foam or adhesive over time, but maybe that stuff reflects enough to be ok.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Id be concerned hood liner is not designed for wet conditions.... hood does not get wet per say ... and thusly used in different places that do get wet soak from splash, water crossings etc.... may act as a sponge to hold water.... and cause rust

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do wonder if the aluminum backed rubber sheets i did the engine side of the cab on my truck if it got hot enough would the glue let go and all this fairly thick aluminum 2ftx2ft sheets lay down over the altenator and maybe ark off ! I might have to make some kind of something to keep it from makeing it that far if it does fall off ! I used this stuff from heat shield products and it engine noise down alot and i like it but that was my only reservation on any of this stuff when on the engine side of the cab .

coachgeo

I do wonder if the aluminum backed rubber sheets i did the engine side of the cab on my truck if it got hot enough would the glue let go and all this fairly thick aluminum 2ftx2ft sheets lay down over the altenator and maybe ark off ! I might have to make some kind of something to keep it from makeing it that far if it does fall off ! I used this stuff from heat shield products and it engine noise down alot and i like it but that was my only reservation on any of this stuff when on the engine side of the cab .
if you add something at alternator you open another can of worms...... alternator HAS TO COOL... any something you put near alternator "that limits air flow around alternator" will be a possible problem.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you add something at alternator you open another can of worms...... alternator HAS TO COOL... any something you put near alternator "that limits air flow around alternator" will be a possible problem.
What i had in mind is a skeleton just a couple inches above the altenator made of galvinized chain link fence wire that i can make some eyelets to use local bolt heads to fasten to so if the sheet comes loose it would just rest on the skeleton till i found it and air would still flow till corrected

ramdough

In my case, the sound deadening is less important than the heat shield. I don’t want the paint getting cooked off the steel or the xps foam on the inside of the steel off gassing or melting.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my case, the sound deadening is less important than the heat shield. I don’t want the paint getting cooked off the steel or the xps foam on the inside of the steel off gassing or melting.

IM pretty sure the only place that would come close would be just above the turbo just put something maybe a small sheild fastend to the cab rite over it

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hell not paying attention again your not under the cab ! ooops ! I hate to go there but are you sure you want fresh water tank not inside your build to be much easier to insulate put your black water tank there if it does get to freezing let the truck sit and idle long enough to thaw black water tank to dump butit wouls be nice to have running water in winter if you are useing the truck

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need something like Fiberfrax, a ceramic wool blanket. Nothing better for heat, can get wet, not sure about long term effects of exposure to wet/salt/etc. should be pretty resilient.

ramdough

Hell not paying attention again your not under the cab ! ooops ! I hate to go there but are you sure you want fresh water tank not inside your build to be much easier to insulate put your black water tank there if it does get to freezing let the truck sit and idle long enough to thaw black water tank to dump butit wouls be nice to have running water in winter if you are useing the truck
So my grey tank is inside my insulated floor. The metal skin is about an inch above the muffler screws.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my grey tank is inside my insulated floor. The metal skin is about an inch above the muffler screws.

Could you take a heatsheild off of a old junkyard muffler the sise you need to put between the tank and muffler in that 1inch gap then you ought to be in good shape and use them real long stainless hose clamps they come in pretty long kits amazon.com/Stainless-Strapping-Fasteners-Adjustable-Automotive/dp/B092CN53R7/ref=pd_vtp_2/135-7938520-4879804?pd_rd_w=nvaGg&pf_rd_p=016e3697-91be-4dc2-9533-ef9350e7e73d&pf_rd_r=5J5E30VX7GHW7Z4Y9PKF&pd_rd_r=ab69ea4e-7571-443d-aeae-9e48797d4ef2&pd_rd_wg=wollr&pd_rd_i=B092CN53R7&th=1

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wingnut had a great idea if you have or can find a piece of the exaust or turbo manifold blankets that they stainless tie wire on usally silver cloth looking material on the outside and white with screen on the hot side would work great it seems

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks