• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heated Seats?

Rolling_Eudaimonia

So has anyone put in a seat heater into the Drivers' seat or Passengers seat? I think this would be a great idea... I need a seat heater because well a Seat Heater would be great for my freezing behind... So what I'm thinking is I could peel off the seat cover and put in the electric unit and then set up the control unit.

Flea

:shock:

rofl

Only kidding. If you're going for creature comforts, good luck! Personally, I don't know if it would be worth it, considering the 1/2" of cheap foam padding - it wouldn't hold the heat for very long!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a set of '04 Sedan DeVille leather, power, heated seats if any one is interested in trying them. I'll sell them fairly cheap but you'll have to pick them up in San Antonio because it would be cost prohibitive to ship them.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Do they make kits that work for 24volts? That is the problem, I'm not that big on converts... I sort of want the simplest system possible. I also want it water proof... Yes I still want to be able to go into 30 plus inches of water and have my seats work as well.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I'm not worried about the wiring the seats so much. I think Parallel would be better since if one is turned off or malfunctions I can still use the other one. What I'm worried about is moisture from running in 30 plus inches of water shorting out the converter and seating elements.

Flea

I don't think they make heated seats designed for use underwater on a budget. Most likely, it would be a marine/yacht product, and as such, would not be cheap.

Making your deuce capable of handling 30+ inches of water isn't a problem. Doing that while making the cab watertight and comfy long-term might be.

I think the best you can hope for is a compromise. I'd stay with the cab heater, insulate the cab a bit and deal with frosty buns until the cab warmed up a bit. I know when it's 45* out, it doesn't take me long until I'm dripping sweat in my cab!

Rolling_Eudaimonia

You are not thinking clearly. Series(or parallel, I can't remeber)=24v no converter needed.
Well series would up the voltage so if I put two 12 volt batteries in series I get 24 volts but if I out them in parallel I get twice their amperage. So what you're saying is actually just tie the seats into the battery terminals then you have 12 volts from battery to one seat and one to the next. I want to go from the alternator to the seats so I was thinking one line between the two seats hence the issues I brought up.

I think the problem is that if I put in the seat heaters I have to for go the deep water. Which isn't bad I'm not a big fan of changing seals all the time. So I'll probably get a converter and step it down to 12 volts and use a simple parallel wiring scheme with two switches for each seat and so on.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I don't think they make heated seats designed for use underwater on a budget. Most likely, it would be a marine/yacht product, and as such, would not be cheap.

Making your deuce capable of handling 30+ inches of water isn't a problem. Doing that while making the cab watertight and comfy long-term might be.

I think the best you can hope for is a compromise. I'd stay with the cab heater, insulate the cab a bit and deal with frosty buns until the cab warmed up a bit. I know when it's 45* out, it doesn't take me long until I'm dripping sweat in my cab!
Yeah well I plan on moving to Pittsburgh for Graduate School so it might be a little colder than new home of Louisville... I don't know if it will be colder than Windham New York is , that is where I'm from and spent 22 years of my life. But my Deuce has no heat now at all. I provide the heat!

Well I didn't really see the cab being water tight, I just don't want the seats to burn out if they get submerged in water. Yeah I figure that is a tall order for any seat to be electrified and water proof at the same time. Nice dream however, but since I'm not that big on changing seals I think I'll the water to a minimum and just go with the cheap heated seat kits you can buy for 120-180 bucks a piece on Heated Seats.com.

All I need now are three air locking diffs, cab heater/deforster and water injection kit.

HeadWizard

Well series would up the voltage so if I put two 12 volt batteries in series I get 24 volts but if I out them in parallel I get twice their amperage. So what you're saying is actually just tie the seats into the battery terminals then you have 12 volts from battery to one seat and one to the next. I want to go from the alternator to the seats so I was thinking one line between the two seats hence the issues I brought up.

I think the problem is that if I put in the seat heaters I have to for go the deep water. Which isn't bad I'm not a big fan of changing seals all the time. So I'll probably get a converter and step it down to 12 volts and use a simple parallel wiring scheme with two switches for each seat and so on.

Thanks for all the help guys.
I've got 24v to 12v converters :-D

parlusk

mine are ready to install.. i will let you know how they serve me... the mod wasn't bad at all after i figured out what was wrong with the heating elements.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD-X87oISFw[/media]