• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater circuit question

o1951

Blower resistor unit may still be servicable.
Resistance increases as wire heats up.
I would clean it up, squeeze crimps, bit of dielectric on terminals and try it loose.
If it is OK, then install it.

Last edited:

scottladdy

Caution advised ...

... and try it loose.
If I'm not mistaken, the resistor is designed to be in the path of the airflow just after the blower. This is to keep it sufficiently cool to keep it from burning up. Also, the resistor wires are not insulated, so extreme care to prevent a short to ground would be required.

I may be mistaken. But if I am not my advice is, proceed with this procedure at your own risk. And if you do, please report back.

My opinion: If you are going to the trouble of removing the resistor, it may be worth it just to replace it to avoid hassles later on. I sourced my new resistor recently for about $20 after my heater fuse got all melty on me. I am certain the original resistor is still fine, but why take the chance? Replacing the fuse block or other wiring is far more expensive, not to mention your time in diagnosing the "future" issue. Especially since the fuse block has already been damaged.

Just my 2cents.

Best regards ...

Vhyle

If I'm not mistaken, the resistor is designed to be in the path of the airflow just after the blower. This is to keep it sufficiently cool to keep it from burning up. Also, the resistor wires are not insulated, so extreme care to prevent a short to ground would be required.

I may be mistaken. But if I am not my advice is, proceed with this procedure at your own risk. And if you do, please report back.

My opinion: If you are going to the trouble of removing the resistor, it may be worth it just to replace it to avoid hassles later on. I sourced my new resistor recently for about $20 after my heater fuse got all melty on me. I am certain the original resistor is still fine, but why take the chance? Replacing the fuse block or other wiring is far more expensive, not to mention your time in diagnosing the "future" issue. Especially since the fuse block has already been damaged.

Just my 2cents.

Best regards ...
That's my line of thinking as well. I already have it out, and it looks pretty horrible. It may still carry continuity, but for how long? If I'm replacing the blower motor anyway, I might as well pair with a new resistor.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also agree with replacing the resistor. It may work okay but that corrosion is extra resistance.

o1951

Yup -agree- best way if your pockets are deep enough - some of our are not.
Remember - if blower resistor goes bad, you loose that speed. If it somehow shorted, blower goes to high speed. No way to overload or blow fuse unless resistor terminals or element contacts grounded sheetmetal, which, lacking a bad collison, should be impossible when installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks