• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

heater instiallation in M35A2 question

William_Max

The weather has finally gotten to the point where I need to install the heater kit that came with my M 35A2. I have a complete new crew compartment heater kit including the Cover for the front grille. The one thing I do not have is the instructions of how it all goes. I have found the parts blow up in one of the TM-9s but no instructions. Could one of the great gurus direct me to the appopriate TM on the subject,

m38inmaine

I have a kit on the way, should be here Wednesday and it has the instructions with it. I tried to find them in advance in the TM but when I found the section on the heater it said to use the instructions that come with the kit! I can make you a copy and mail them or try and scan them and post it here.

William_Max

Dear Mark, I would love to have a hard copy of the installation instructions for the heater kit, I will happily cover copying costs and postage, I am sure that scanning them and posting them to the list will be much appreciated also,
Sincerely
Bill Max

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
be sure when you mount the deflector under the dash, that you cross the hoses from the defroster outlets. the passenger side outlet serves the driver side window. That is because the greater volume of air comes from the passenger side outlet. It's easier top put in the defroster duct hoses before the deflector. Also the TM says put the resistor on the firewall. I mounted mine inside under the dash to keep it from getting wet.

JDToumanian

The 'instructions' included with the kit are little more than a one-page parts list and four poorly reproduced blueprints - two for the heater install and two for the front canvas cover install. There is no 'step by step' instruction, the closest you will get to that is the link Opie posted above.

If you're missing the blueprints, they are online - one of Bjorn's photo links here somewhere (maybe he'll post it). They are definitely useful, and if you study them carefully you will see that they show where each part goes and show which fasteners should be used to install them.

The TM exploded view drawing you mentioned shows component placement better than the blueprints, IMHO. For example - The blueprint shows the circuit breaker mounted under the dash near the passenger's side. The TM shows it on the driver's side firewall, and the wire lengths included in the kit fit best with it there. The power switch and control cables, too, are best under the dash to the left of the steering wheel as the TM shows, not as the kit blueprints show... Also, as OPCOM pointed out, the duct routing should be crossed per the TM. Maybe the fact that these heater kits were designed for the old gasser deuces, not the newer multifuels, explains the discrepancy between the blueprints and the TMs? I don't know, but I used the TM for placement reference, the blueprints for proper wiring and fastener usage, and the tech article for pictures, tips, and guidance - and I'm very pleased with my installation.

On my deuce, I had very few holes to drill... There were pre-punched and/or drilled holes for the circuit breaker, resistor, wiring firewall grommet, and ducts. Holes were needed in the fender and frame for the JATonka heater mounting bracket, in the firewall to mount the curved duct damper and the deflector box, and under the edge of the dash for the switch and cables. ...And of course the side panel for the air scoop and screen.

Between the blueprints, the drawings in the TMs, and the photos and instructions provided in the tech article here on SS, I think there's enough to figure it out and get it installed to your liking.

Regards,
Jon

Opie

Questions regarding installation:
1) My truck has gasser fenders, so there's a big flat space where I can mount the under the hood unit and eliminate use of the aftermarket "shelf." Should I just drill holes in the fender and bolt it on, or is there a more elegant way to do this to reduce vibration, etc.?

2) I have the winter front but not the bolts/springs/etc. to mount it on the truck. Any thoughts as to what to use instead?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks