• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

heater question

baja_power

To some this may make no sense at all.. and others might think its a great idea.... but here it goes.

In the winter, when your driving and have your heater on. The heater is taking air from outside the truck and heating it and then blowing it into the cab. so if its 30 degrees out. then the heater has to constantly heat air that’s coming in at 30 degrees. but what if you placed the intake to the heater in the engine compartment where it will be a little warmer so the heater would be taking in warmer air, then heating the air that’s already warmer, so then you would end up with hotter air being produced.. or what about just putting the intake in the cab. so the air is just being re-used and new, cold air issnt being introduced into the system...

just a thought.. maybe im crazy.. can this be done or is there a reason its setup the way it is?

Gatnom

<SPAN style="COLOR: white">[3]Baja: The only reason I can think of, not to do it is that moisture from the inside air (your, and your passengers breath, the slush from your boots, etc.), would condense out on the cold surface of the window glass. Actually, there would most likely be enough fresh air infiltration though all the ill fitting canvas, windows and such that it would not be a problem in the deuce.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> I actually do this in my M37 plow truck without a problem, but try and use the “air recirculation” option in my 94 Dodge Ram and the windows fog up quick.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Dave<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>[/3]

baja_power

this has gotten me thinking. So i took the top of my heater and was shocked to find that the actual core is tiny compared to all the space inside the heater itself. could it be possible to put a larger core in it?

Wick246

You have lots of length in that box but not much width to work with. You could run another heater core behind that one but then will you be able to force enough air through them with the stock fan?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you drive the deuce any length of time at all, you will notice that the firewall gets real hot. measured 120-130 F once. You probably wont even need the heater other than for defrosting unless it get very cold, say, below zero.
Of course, we all have different experiences, so take it for what it's worth.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most cars and trucks have a recirculate position where you heat or cool in cab air anyway. The 530 class fire trucks have a different heater that is actually mounted on the firewall inside just over the passengers feet. I think this heater recirculates in cab air. It would certainly heat the cab more.

baja_power

most of my winter driving will consist of 30 minute trips to school at 7 am and back at 3.. and trips to work. so i wont be doing ALOT of endurance driving.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winter in Ohio. You'll need at least 15 minutes of warm-up with winter front to get the engine close to operating temp. If you drive without winter front it will probably not even get to 160 F in 1/2 hour and the heater won't do that much good. It will even rob the engine of some needed heat even if it's only a few degrees.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Closed. I'd keep it closed for the trip if it's only 1/2 hour. That applies for temps below freezing. Open the flap for temps up to about 65 degrees.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like my Chargetek 500 dual battery maintainer. Keep it plugged in in the winter for healthy batteries. Will let you crank the engine fast for starts witout aids down to at least 10 F.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are expecting subzero temperatures, start the engine and run it at fast idle for 15 minutes or so every 4-6 hours around the clock. It will start right away each time down to -20 or colder.
I have a long list here, but do maintain your coolant. Use test strips to check acidity and freeze protection. The chemicals in the coolant are depleted even if the engine is never started. Replace every two years for sure.

baja_power

we have been having problems with our truck.. its gotten a new water pump, new injector pump, new injectors and when we pulled the radiator, we just re-filled with water... because it will be back off this weekend ( weather permitting) for new head gaskets.. :banghead: so i need to mix the proper coolant... i read your article from MVM on the cooling system but for the life of me i cant find the magazine :mad:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks