• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heating oil

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have looked through the alt. fuel pages and didn't really find an answer. A neighbor and I were talking about the 109, and when I mentioned the multi-fuel he mentioned someone trying to get rid of 160gal of heating oil. Is this something I could use with our motor? I have some motor oil that I will be setting up some filters for, I guess I'd just run this through too. Any thoughts?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put some 911 diesel additive in , run it through a filter and run it! It will work fine. The 911 will kill any algea.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Home heating oil is number 2 diesel without road tax - and sometimes with a dye to indicate such - the engine won't care - but regulatory authorities might (but that wouldn't deter me).

Main thing is to make sure its not contaminated with water.

Regards,
David

gimpyrobb

I the "filtering used oil" thread someone made mention of a water separator(sp?). Is there a pic or better yet a link to one? Do they work well?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
As pointed out, in that same thread - the old-time tried and true method is to pump off the top of the liquid, and discard the bottom. Dunno the details of your fuel's position. If you do business with an old-time gas station, they have a paste the put on the stick they measure their fuel level with that detects water - talk them out of a little.

Fuel-water seperators do indeed work well. Racor makes a variety of them and they probably have a website with pix.

Regards,
David

gimpyrobb

O.K. so I've found the filters I need at a buddy's shop. Now I need to find a transfer pump. Anyone know what kind of volume or psi I need to look for? I would like to set it up to pump from one storage bin to another, or do you think it would be better to just circulate from one tank? This will be for regular oil as well as heating oil.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All three filters on your truck serve as water seperators too. They each have a drain. But like DD said pull the fuel from the top. Water will travel to the bottom if left to sit a few days. The dye in the oil will stain the filters and it will take several tanks to remove the dye from the system. There is a steep fine in texas for running dyed fuel but I'm with DD, that wouldn't slow me down a bit. As far as the engine goes it won't care at all. And the IP will probally be happy because it will be high sulfer. (above 1500 PPM) But if it's so old that it's started to go bad you might have trouble getting it started on a cold morning. I'd add a cetane booster to solve that.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
160 gallons is really not a lot of liquid - again, not knowing what your fuel is currently stored in makes it hard to speculate - but if its in something above ground I'd be inclined to use a plastic siphon drum pump - the ones that fit a 55 gallon drum can usually be bought for under 30 bucks. Some petroleum products make them brittle - but you can move all this in one setting before that is a problem, then just toss the pump.

Regards,
David

No.2Diesel

I use a 20 GPM Tuthill Fillrite 115V transfer pump with two large Hastings fuel filters. Expensive pump but is very fast. NYSDOT rides around in a green van with a lightbar and is usually followed by a state trooper. They have a mobile lab in the van that detects red diesel. They can analyze your fuel while you wait, produce a printout along with a $25,000 fine for tax evasion and tell you to fight it in court. Not my personal experience, but hearsay.

Stay away from the DOT heads

ida34

I have heard stories of people picking up trucks from GL with dye off-road diesel in it. I have an above ground 300 gallon tank but I keep taxed unleaded in it. If the cops get in behind you just take off like in First Blood. :driver: With the lighting fast speed of a deuce you can just out run them.

"America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-a## speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt 1936

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is dyed fuel easily identified visually from road fuel if at a high concentration? Also how does biodiesel and SVO work with road taxes? I have been reading that in Virginia I can buy a $50 alternative fuel tag each year for each vehicle to cover me. Any idea if that would make me legal in other states?

gimpyrobb

Shoot, I'd prolly do better to throw it in reverse and smash their radiator, then use the "ludacris speed" (spaceballs referance) shifter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dyed fuel is readily detected by eye. Its a crimson red. They have the lab for the guys that says he's got tranny fluid or Marvel Mystery oil in there. Can't fight the lab results. You really have to be doing something stupid to be pulled over in a deuce so I woudln't worry too much. Savings here in FL is around 60 cents a gallon over road fuel. I use a 100 gallon transfer pump when I buy fuel and have the Filrite 12V pump to transfer is. Faster than the local filling station.

gimpyrobb

O.K. guys. I just got done tinkering over at my buddy's and have lots more questions. While collecting parts off some rigs for my personal use, I noticed alot of other stuff that might be usefull. I have no tanks to put the (160gal) heating oil in while removing the 275gal. tank from this guy's house. At mike's (my buddy) I saw a big diesel tank off of a rig. I am allowed to use it to transfer the heating oil out of the 275gal tank, but it currently has some diesel in it. Is there a way to tell if the diesel in this tank is still good? When I looked in the filters off this truck, the diesel looked yellow. Can I dip a rag into it and if it lights its good? Also there are ALOT of those "budd" style rims. I remember someone saying that they welded centers in to run wider tires. These are still 20" rims (wish they were 22.5) So does anyone have a use for them? Finally I was thinking about the statement that someone made in another post about useing old oil for fuel. He said that some metals from the bearings would be harmful. If I were to attach some big magnets to the bottom of my "fuel" containers. Would this help pull out some of those metals? I figure that since I'm going to be pulling fuel off the top, to go into my tank, this would just help gravity, right? Sorry for the long post, hope to have some kind of filtering deal-i-o set up for pics tomarrow.

beaubeau

When using Used oil in any diesel I will be filtered befor it gets to your Engine. That is what Filters do!! With as many as 3 filters nothung gets to the engine.Running motor oil trans.(Ftype good to clean INJ.) oil or Hydrolic oil is good for the diesel! I have run it in my 97 Dodge 2500 since 96 no problemsIrun it in my 2006 Duramax, No problems The Deuce Has been starting on its own all winter!! Just keep it CLEAN!!

emr

Dyed fuel in DRMO trucks, is not a problem because they dont pay road tax's, he he he. But I do know for a fact the local guard unit, when they get a fill up of diesel, its sometimes home heating oil, oh its all diesel for sure, when we do stuff for them like when we brought a dozen deuce loads of katrina water to McGuire AFB, for them and other things we volunteer for, weve done convoy training twice, we get reated to some fuel sometimes,.and its usually red, but not always, like everything else, the supplier sells what is avalable at the time, since they are not bothered by taxes it doesnt matter what they get,, that is the only difference in fuel, OFF road diesel at the pump is just home heating oil,its already died so no taxes, its the same stuff going into your home, diesel.If the diesel in your area is low sulfer so is the home heating oil. My sister in laws, hubby is an engineer in a refinery in Tex;s.. Exxon,ALL gas is the same too, there is an additive that the big name stations add, to make theres speciel, but only 2 companies in the world manufacture all of the additives, so the most different u may possibly get from gas is the choice of 2 types of additives, and as for all the types of mil fuel... its all diesel, from choppers to generators, His part of the refinery has been on 24 hours a day 7 days a week for uncle Sam since 9'11.all they ship is diesel for everything, it may say something different in an older style delivery system but its all diesel, Randy

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Rule is: Unfiltered fuel, is dirty fuel!

Water is easy to seperate from fuel in the winter, if its outside. The water simply just freezes in the bottom of the barrel - pump off the top. Just run it through a filter first. Or a funnel and a chammy cloth is the first choice of airplane Guys for Gasoline. The chammy works for diesel too. Any of the barrel pump type filters, will seperate water out.

Actually, "un-taxed fuel" will penetrate any commercial filters.

Lee in Alaska