• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heating System Upgrade or Auxiliary Heater?

ssdvc

Has anyone upgraded their stock heat exchanger/blower motor or maybe installed an aftermarket auxiliary heating system in their M1009's? It's gets cold in New England and I sometimes make trips up into Maine and NH when it is Zero or below out. Truck runs great, but as for heat, not so much. I do block off the front grill of the truck . I also have some inexpensive seat heater pads in the front seats, which help. They work great, but they do nothing for my feet.

ehuppert

Probably showing my age here but..... Used to put cardboard on the floors in the deuces and five tons in the wintertime as your feet would freeze with out it! Feet direct to cold metal never worked so well! CUCV's weren't much better! (And the earlier jeeps were brutal!)

M1008 now has 3m sound deadener under jute padding and carpet. No real driving since restoration semi completed, but with jute pad and carpet that was never an issue in the past.

Not sure what you have for flooring, but the regular vinyl pad doesn't do much for heat retention or insulation!! Decent sound deadener would probably help under the vinyl!

If the blower is blowing hot air a different heater core or blower probably won't do much!

Skinny

Has anyone upgraded their stock heat exchanger/blower motor or maybe installed an aftermarket auxiliary heating system in their M1009's? It's gets cold in New England and I sometimes make trips up into Maine and NH when it is Zero or below out. Truck runs great, but as for heat, not so much. I do block off the front grill of the truck . I also have some inexpensive seat heater pads in the front seats, which help. They work great, but they do nothing for my feet.
It sounds like maybe your heater core is plugged because my stock M1031 heater will melt you out of the cab once the engine is warm.

I'd consider back flushing it with a hose before moving forward.

If you feel like it is still not enough, you can always look at an auxiliary heater. Probably will run $150 to $250 depending on how many btus.

You could also consider a diesel fired heater. You can get a Chinese clone Webasto for under $200 to preheat your cab or add heat while driving.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Keith_J

1009? First service the heater core. Then auxiliary heater in the back. Surplus Center has some in stock.

Skinny

Years ago my buddy had an old 4Runner and it made absolutely nothing for heat. You always start to see if you have hot hoses getting to the heater core. The yotas have a hot water valve on the firewall that get gummy and stick.

Hoses were boiling hot and the heater blend door was definitely moving correctly.

So we drained the coolant and put a garden hose on the return side to back flush the core. I have never seen so much shit come out of that core. Was the worst one I saw.

Put it back together and burped. Heater would melt you on full blast.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

D6T

I echo those who say to check for problems first.

My M1009 stock heating system is plenty even when temps are ten below zero or so, here on the Canadian border.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks