• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

heavier alternative to the MT654CR

kyle78521

Hello I'm new here so this may have been covered before but I have a m932a2 with the Allison MT654CR transmission in it. The engine is blown up but I have a detroit diesel series 60 engine that I want to replace it with but I'm concerned because I dont know if the rest of the drivetrain can handle the 635 HP. does anyone know what transmission I could get that would handle that size engine and still function properly including 6x6. the less component changeout and modifying the better any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Indiana!

Sounds like a cool project, be sure to start a tread with lots of pictures once you get started on the build.
Try a search for "high horsepower & extremely high torque transmissons". There are some good suggestions there.

Even though they all may have been one big troll, also look at threads started by the same person, they covered a lot of the issues you may run into.

Don't get discouraged by all the naysayers! What will live or die behind your motor will vary greatly depending on weight and driving style.

Good luck!

kyle78521

Thanks NDT Yes I understand that im going to have to replace the transfer case as well, thats part of the issue finding a transmission and transfer case that will handle that engine and still be able to work the 6x6 function. Thank you Ernie and Jbulach. Ernie Ill be Pming you

noazhouse

I have some allision 3500sp trans and converters new on skids. I you want to go that way. I sell these to heavy load dump trucks.

ernie
Will the allison 3500sp be a direct replacment to the mt654cr I'm the m923a2... I think thays the trans that has a lower 1st and a higher reverse.. 541-601-1338 if you can help it would he great it's for a converted m923a2 to 4000 gallon water tender for wildland firefighting

Attachments

Socommfg

Will the allison 3500sp be a direct replacment to the mt654cr I'm the m923a2... I think thays the trans that has a lower 1st and a higher reverse.. 541-601-1338 if you can help it would he great it's for a converted m923a2 to 4000 gallon water tender for wildland firefighting
It will be a direct fit bit you will need to add the trans selector as the 3500's are electrical shift.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You won't be able to maintain any road speed. 3500 is a double overdrive unit. Your transfer case is an overdrive unit. The 8.3 won't have the guts to pull any speed past 3rd gear even empty with the 16.00s.

A decent power increased NHC250 truck with 16.00s, t1138 transfer case with a .83 overdrive on the transmission can barely stay in overdrive running empty. With an empty 13,000lb trailer it has a hard time getting into OD on flat ground.

74M35A2

He’s talking about a Series 60 pushing it. I like those engines.

I have not seen them in a +600hp configuration though. Please tell more.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I know of a member here who pushes that on his Western star if he programs it that high but he said the transmission start slipping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks