• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Heavy Duty" headlight harness

hoplite666

As has been the case for many others, the area on the fuse block around the headlight fuse has melted and the fuse no longer stays secure enough to keep the lights on steadily.
I remembered I've got the LMC truck headlight harness laying around and will be installing it tomorrow. I've read through other posts including the sticky in regards to this issue.
My issue is that the fuse slot for the 30 amp headlight fuse is toast. After loosening up the necessary hardware I've got the fuse block loose and managed to jimmy the wire out of the back of the slot. How do I go about putting this back together when the factory slot is not going to work? I've used "add a fuse" connectors for aftermarket accessories in the past but cant find one with a 30 amp rating to pair up with an existing slot.
I keep seeing mention of some "relay" mod that takes the place of the headlight fuse but no instruction on how to set this up. Even then, that 30amp fuse slot also powers the the dash lights etc.. so I cant just substitute in whatever...
My Knowledge is limited in regards to the inner workings of a fuse block. Basically I need to know what to do with or how to plug in/set up elsewhere the wire that feeds the headlight slot now that it is loose out of the back of the panel. The housing is too melted to attach a new connector and plug it back in.

Last edited:

pmramsey

If I remember correctly, the LMC heavy duty headlight harness does not connect to the truck like the original. You may want to explore your opinions thoroughly.

cucvrus

I just add a 2 inline 30 fuse holders and do away with the fuse block connection completely. If I remember correctly the buss bar serves 2 circuits. So I add 2 in line fuses. The back up lamps are te other circuit. IU have noyt had this issue for about 8 years so I have only done it 5-10 times in 20 years of ownership and 100+ vehicles. I hope that helps. I never had to use an LMC harness. i just did the fuse block mode or changed the entire inside cab harness if I was feeling picky. I remember buying the new harnesses for $20. each at Aberdeen back in the mid 90's. Changing the entire harness is not worth the effort. I am doing repairs to keep these vehicles running. And running good. Just not into museum spec restoration. I don't think Mecham or Barret Jackson are in the future of any CUCV. Not going to happen in my opinion. But then again maybe. And maybe not. Have a great day. The Big Red M1008 clutch fan was screaming on morning on I 81. that makes the hills even steeper to climb. Rolling smoke and just keeps going and going.

hoplite666

Thanks for your input. I've got the LMC harness all set up just need to figure out what to do with the wire at the fuse block. It doesn't help that the previous owner spliced into that headlight wire. There is a orange 10 gauge wire soldered onto the red headlight wire with a 30 amp inline fuse. Best I can assume is this is for the park/backup lights since that slot on the block is empty.
So my best option is to add an inline fuse and route that red wire for the headlights and that other orange wire (already 30 amp inline fuse) direct to 12v power supply up by the glow plug relay?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks