• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heavy Haul (55K) SC to MI

paradeduty

well, Harold -

Been thinking about that myself (not that it actually has to DO anything to just be cool!) - but don't tell the wife...I have an absolute need and plan for it - no guess work here - done deal, all planned out, etc. (at least that is my story and I'm sticking to it).

I cought a little good intentioned flack on here when I asked for thoughts on tow-barring my deuce camper behind my wrecker (insurance/liability/intended historical use/etc.)

I'm pretty sure I have seen some electronics and small shop "containers" - essentially the same size as the 20' shipping containers that this rig is intended to lift and haul on it's back. I don't think they are possibly as nice as the deuce camper (no windows and some convenience with being self propelled after disconnect from tow rig) but time will tell. The "container camper" also means one less engine/drivetrain to maintain (it's not a whole lot of maintenance, but it is a point). Also less for plates and insurance. And even if you don't use it much, you still have to cycle out the old diesel fuel before it turns to goo every once in a while. I just don't know if I can get into a "container camper" for what I have into the "deuce camper" - which wasn't a bunch.

I was also thinking about trying to land some "flatracks" that the PLS is intended to lift and haul. I believe that they are pretty much 20' long - plenty of room to load one of our vintage Cadillacs (which I also play with, cover the thing with a 5-ton long bed canvas and bow set (somewhat modified to allow opening the car doors for loading) so it doesn't look too out of whack on the truck, and truck on down to a car/truck show. Now there is a car hauler! I also have one of the M1076 trailers for the PLS Trucks - could always load up 2 Caddys - there would be a sight!

Don't really use the trucks for much heavy work, so I probably will not be looking for any of the construction based "beds" (I know of a concrete mixer and a dump truck bed that are used with them, there are probably others).

The wife and I use the trucks in as many parades and Vet oriented benefit car/truck shows as we can squeeze in. I would like to take and make a display to put on one of the flatracks (maybe based on an oversized pallet type base so I can remove/place it with the forklift). I often wanted to make a rendition of the picture of the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima (sp?) - pretty famous picture that most folks find patriotic - and place it on a trailer for the parades. Maybe I can make it for one of the flatracks.

Let me know if you have any ideas for fun uses in the average "real world".

Take Care, Dave.

Last edited:

mhassett

Wow; That truck is bigger than Chelsea.
Would like to see it parked in front of Merkles.
I used to live on Orchard St.
MHassett
Bush, LA

13 MIKE

I keep thinking there might be a small chance i can drive a HEMTT again someday, I'll buy the fuel.