• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heavy knocking sound. Video included

DcDuqueMuerto

Hey All,

Putzing around with the truck (m923a2), my cousin mentioned the engine sounds like it's knocking. Now, it has sounded that way from the day I brought it home from the base. It has driven a few thousand miles, and passed emissions during that time. Never had any issues with it engine wise. I even asked the guys at the local Cummins dealer if it sounded bad, and they didn't seem too concerned.

I can't tell from videos, and not sure if I'm being paranoid. But, it definitely sounds bad to me.

I couldn't get the video to post here, so hopefully the link is ok:

https://youtu.be/k5XuXulvltU

Any thoughts/suggestions?

DcDuqueMuerto

I posted this in the wrong forum. Trying to delete the other.

Hey All,

Putzing around with the truck (m923a2), my cousin mentioned the engine sounds like it's knocking. Now, it has sounded that way from the day I brought it home from the base. It has driven a few thousand miles, and passed emissions during that time. Never had any issues with it engine wise. I even asked the guys at the local Cummins dealer if it sounded bad, and they didn't seem too concerned.

I can't tell from videos, and not sure if I'm being paranoid. But, it definitely sounds bad to me.

I couldn't get the video to post here, so hopefully the link is ok:

https://youtu.be/k5XuXulvltU

Any thoughts/suggestions?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have the throttle pulled out? If that's idle it sounds high to me.

ghettoct

mine had same sound, was the air compressor. it was leaking at the head and the unloader on top of compressor. just mix up some dawn and water and squirt it on the compressor top and watch for bubbles. i replaced my compressor through napa and the knock is gone. as well as air leak.

tbar123

Do you only hear it from the front of the truck? If so it's not the engine it has something to do with the radiator mount. I picked up the same knock after I rebuilt the radiator.It's from a bolt not being spec'd out. Most likely the mount!When the fan turns on it disappears.

mcmullag

Would you be able to re-post a video/audio of when it is all air-ed up and the compressor has stopped running?
(if I remember correctly, after you get that loud hiss from the bottom of the air dryer, the air compressor kicks off)
I do remember a knocking noise on my two, when the air compressor was running.

DcDuqueMuerto

I can do that. There was a leak from the top of the compressor. We fixed that (or thought so) as we replaced the gasket at the top.

Hoping not to have to replace the compressor, but we'll see. I'll get a video posted this weekend.

Stranger

I was being driven crazy by a heavy knocking sound at the front of mine.

Turned out to be a loose tow shackle vibrating back a forth on the mount. A quick squeeze in the vice fixed it.

DcDuqueMuerto

The compressor was/is on it's way to the grave. Had to take it in for emissions and the shop did some inspecting and verified it was toast. It'll hold air, just won't build it up. Putting in a new one this weekend.