• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Height of M35A2 with box?

jpcj-7

Anybody want to help me guess the height of this truck? I need to pick it up next week, however I'm kind of worried about the height being over 13'6" on our semi trailer! If it is 9'6" or less I'm fine. But I figure that I can let 5" of air out of the tires, so that makes my max. 9'11". My deck height on the trailer is 4'. So what do ya'all think, can it be done???

I wonder if I got in a pinch could the box slide up and out of the stake pockets? Although it could really be frozen in after God only knows how many years.... Any help is appreciated!:-D

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on the first picture, it's at least as tall as a shop van (M-109). Top of the shop van is 10 foot 9 inches, non-reducable according to the TM.

gunboy1656

well what the height of the standard sidewall on the bed? use that size then measure up from there with that known distance, to get the height of the box.

And you have a deuce to know tthe height from the ground to the bed.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The legal hight on the US interstate system is 13'6" but most bridges are at least 14' since there is always a chance of snow accumulating and raising the road hight.
On side roads things tend to differ....by law all power and utility lines have to me a minimum of 13'6". That being said I have taken out a lot of low hanging cable lines out on side streets with a 13'6" trailer.
Load it and measure it. As you stated you can lower it by removing the tires or taking off the box.

jpcj-7

well what the height of the standard sidewall on the bed? use that size then measure up from there with that known distance, to get the height of the box.

And you have a deuce to know tthe height from the ground to the bed.

We did this however the heights that we came up with ranged from 9'6" - 10'5", I was worried about camera angles maybe screwing up the calcation. I'm really starting to over think this.....

The thing is I could take one truck up (350 miles) and bring everything back @ once or I have to get another driver and take two trucks and trailers up, so needless to say I'd really like to make this truck work on our taller trailer!

Thanks

Lance

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't look that much taller than the deuce its parked next to. You could always remove the back wheels and tires for extra drop.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really need to know I can measure mine. It has that same breakdown box on the back of it.

Just let me know.

sw

grounded

Banned
Lance i got to thinking. worst case scenario takes you a little time but take and load it. Then remove the tires and let it sit on the axles.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at that truck during the preview, I didn't preview it, just checked it out on the way by.
I'd say it is about a foot taller than a std cargo cover, which would put it well over 10'

I'm thinking that breaking the box down will be easier than pulling 8 wheels off.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once I get electric in my barn (we dug the ditch and put the cable in last night) I'm going to put my compressors in and remove that box off the back of mine. The sides actually slide down into the normal sides on the bed. It looks like there are only a few bolts holding them down.

jpcj-7

Once I get electric in my barn (we dug the ditch and put the cable in last night) I'm going to put my compressors in and remove that box off the back of mine. The sides actually slide down into the normal sides on the bed. It looks like there are only a few bolts holding them down.
Please keep me posted on the removal of your top goes. That is my plan for now, however I don't know if two guys and a Hi-Lift jack will cut it....

Macanie

I ran into the same problem with our shop vans. After studying it, I found out it was very easy in Virginia to get an oversize permit online, and not very costly. The only problem was I did need the exact diminsions for the permit application. Turns out I was only 6" too tall and the permit sailed through approval in a day.

FreightTrain

Banned
ewww,I thought that was a unit built jobber.That is an actual "Kit".Called a harnening kit.I saw a bunch years ago at a now long gone surplus stealer new in crates.Wish I had known what they were and bought one.Interesting.Expanded metal on angle frame with CARCed plexiglass over that.Apearantly for Riots and rock throwing combat.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FT, That's exactly what it looks like, expanded metal with some thin cheap material covering it. It looks like it would only slow down rocks thrown at it. I figured they used it for prisoner transport, you know, cranky little old ladies.

Jpcj-7, Ir should not be too bad since it comes off in panels.

In my case it may just get unbolted and I'll let the backhoe do the work. My breakdown box is in bad shape and not worth saving.

sw

jpcj-7

Thanks sw,
If it is too tall, it sounds like my brother and I should be able to tear it down pretty quickly with a socket set and hammer! Since you have one of this trucks are there any special tools you might recommend? Thanks, jpcj-7

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take a large socket set and an air impact to run off the truck if you can. Otherwise a half inch socket set should work with a breaker bar and a hacksaw......just in case.

They installed my panel and meter bar last night so after the inspection I should have electric so I can start tearing mine down (I have an electric impact). Then I can start fabricating up a few things I have been wanting to make life easier.

sw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks