• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helicopter down

zout

Mission started as lifting personnel from a landing strip and across the DZ into a safe zone.

Rubber army men were being lifted by helo and up and across the ceiling fan in the back room to an open box to drop them off. 3 of the Squirrels were given 3 channel helo's for Christmas by Santa and Grandpa was teaching control. Mission was to pick up personnel with the landing legs of the helo - fly over the non running ceiling fan and lower into a box on the other side of the room. If given enough time they could save two personnel before the batteries went low.

One of the knuckleheads decided to turn on the ceiling fan during mission - taking out the rear blade and landing legs. HELO DOWN.

After some time on these intricate helo's Grandpa was finally able to reassemble and epoxy the Helo back together later that day. All gyro's functioning and stability is still on tract. Back to mission ya all.

These babies are cool on a wet cold - day when you are bored and have no other projects going on. Highly recommended for sanity.untitled.jpg

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those things are fun. Before you know it you will be building obstacles, and trying to land on every small flat surface in the house.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure many troops have been saved from the Plastics Recycling Bin by the heroic and skilled flying of the squirrels.
Good thing the Helo-Groundcrew was able to Battlefield Engineer expedious repairs and return to airworthiness through the application of modern chemical processes.

Carry on.

OH!!!...And.....

nopics
nopics
nopics

Flyingvan911

The mini helos are very fun. A large warehouse or gymnasium is best but the tiny ones do fine in the living room. Just remember not to go cheap. The quality ones cost a little bit but are well worth it.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait a minute....Zout said he is bored and has no other projects going on right now....and he owns military vehicles....how can that be?!?!? :?: I own 3 MV's (technically) and NEVER run short of projects to do on any of them, let alone my car and my wife's truck. I'm confused....and I have NO idea what it's like to be bored. :-(

:wink:

TehTDK

Once saw someone flying a larger model inside a parking garage. It was rather windy outside and he had just gotten it recently so I can't fault him for practicing inside where there is amble room and less wind to mess up flying and controls.

But I would like to get my hands on one of those at some point and hopefully strap a camera to it and go take some aerial photography for the fun of it.

Another Ahab

Do those things go unlimited vertical? Like can you fly them vertical out of sight?

Or is there a radio-control limit, or something to altitude?

(I mean not this "world's largest thing" but the store-bought stuff).

trukhead

I still can't fly mine too good but I can crash the h*ll out of it!

Denny
Iddy Biddy helicopter flight school in session.

If you have a iddy biddy teeny weeny helicopter that does not have a functioning tail rotor, it has counter rotating main rotors that provide the lift, slowing or speeding up one of the rotors provides the directional control for directional travel choice, your helicopter is weight biased just a bit nose heavy which prompts the bird to move in the direction of the weight bias.

What that means is that it always want to traveled forward as soon as it it air-born. It is balanced off the rotor head.

I recommend taking a narrow strip of duct tape, maybe and 1/8 to 1/4 wide by about an inch long and wrapping around the tail mast. This will bias a weight toward the rear of the chopper and it will correspondingly have less tendency to move forward while air born. You can add tape-ballast until the copter has little tendency to move forward.

This weight shift will help you develop the throttle-collective control reflex. The little birds want to move and the fly bar is very sensitive.

With your newly developed throttle-collective skills, now pay attention to the rudder-yaw trim button and strive towards keeping the bird from rotational creep. However remember the iddy biddy teenie weeny birds are sensitive to more and less throttle so they will rotate as throttle is increased or decreased.

I removed the horizontal tail rotor off of my 15 inch coaxial helicopter. This allowed me to focus on learning to hover the bird. After the hovering was mastered, I installed the rear rotor and have successfully flown the bird.

REMEMBER, ALL OF THIS INFORMATION IS FOR CHEAP COAXIAL HELICOPTERS!!

SINGLE ROTOR HELICOPTERS WITH A VERTICAL
TAIL ROTOR ARE A DIFFERENT ANIMAL ALTOGETHER AND REQUIRE DIFFERENT TRAINING ALTOGETHER!!!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks