• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello and a current truck shipping recommendation for delivery of my M1079

Hello All

I just want to say hi and a huge thanks to all of you here. I just bought my first military truck, a 1994 M1079 from Ken a member here. I have been reading through this site till my eyelids cracked off, LOL . So much to learn and I am very happy that so many of you are so knowledgeable about there vehicles.

So my first question is about shipping, I read and found some recommendations from the members here regarding getting my new to me M1079 from SC to AZ, any current recommendations on who to use for the freight of my new truck? I called United States of Freight and they quoted $3400.00 to ship it, is this a fair price?

Thanks
Seth

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shipping on that van will be brutal because it is 12' high and has to go on a double drop deck trailer, which is "specialized equipment" and gets a heavy premium in the transportation biz.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a bid on U Ship, I have moved two big trucks w/ their bids. For the distance mentioned, $3400 is about right, I'd still do the 10 day bid on U Ship. Or, Road Trip! you will really get to know your new toy.

sjohn116

I used Jones Motors (aka Jones Express) for shipping, got them thru a Broker. Spoke to the truck driver at delivery, and he said he won't take a load for under $3/mile. Makes a profit above $2/mile, but not enough to deal with the time/hassle of loading/unloading.

I might recommend placing a posting in the "transportation need" section of the forum. I got a old quote from someone there when I was looking to buy a second truck for parts. Was quoted $1.80/mile.

ok, thanks for the replies and help guys, I am looking into this all right now, cant wait to get this build in order, if any of you are interested in seeing our Overland built Lexus GX470 or Ford Expedition check out our Facebook and Instagram accounts, we will be applying some of the same tech in our new M1079 as well.

If your interested then check out the links below for info and a sneak peak on what we are going to do to our new truck :) We are so stoked !!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/adventuredriven/

https://www.instagram.com/adv_driven/?hl=en

Cheers

Seth

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, thanks for the replies and help guys, I am looking into this all right now, cant wait to get this build in order, if any of you are interested in seeing our Overland built Lexus GX470 or Ford Expedition check out our Facebook and Instagram accounts, we will be applying some of the same tech in our new M1079 as well.

If your interested then check out the links below for info and a sneak peak on what we are going to do to our new truck :) We are so stoked !!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/adventuredriven/

https://www.instagram.com/adv_driven/?hl=en

Cheers

Seth
You gunna make it shiney and white? Say it isn't so!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about the exact mileage, but it looks like about 1.70/mile which seems pretty reasonable to me. Myself, I'd take $6-700 for fuel and $1000 in cash for potential towing and parts, and drive it home. Check the lists of recovery tools and parts on previous posts and have an adventure. Look for parts or supplies (like 5-10KW generators, trailers, spare tires, etc.) along the route that you could pick up along the way.

I want to drive it home so bad, but have work stuff going on in the next couple of weeks, My wife and I are so stoked to be getting it, can't wait.

Seth

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your quote is for $1.70/mile as quoted above (I have not calculated the exact mileage), that rate is very fair. I usually like to pay no more than $2/mile. The USHIP suggestion above is a good one, too. Or, drive it since you are buying from a private source and can presumably get tags and insurance before you leave.

Socommfg

Seth

My trucker just drop a load of heavy green and he said he will pick it up a deliver it. I am located in North Augusta SC 29841 803-442-9206 Ernie

Trucker name is Dave Maples 868-250-9494

He will be in the area overnight. Call him direct..

Seth

My trucker just drop a load of heavy green and he said he will pick it up a deliver it. I am located in North Augusta SC 29841 803-442-9206 Ernie

Trucker name is Dave Maples 868-250-9494

He will be in the area overnight. Call him direct..
Ernie
I just tried to call him but the number did not work, is the number correct?

Thanks
Seth

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you get anything under $2.10 a mile for an RGN trailer you need to take it. Or drive it. I charge 1.70 a mile for a basic LMTV. The box units have to be on a lowboy/rgn

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

scottmandu

I know a person who does hot shots and charges $1.50 a mile. He has delivered a few of my trucks. Although I will add he's not shipped an M1079 so I am not sure at to the height requirements.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks