• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello evey one. New here ,and i just got a MEP-003A

Uloadit

I am glad to find this site! Well it all began after the storm I had back in October. I looked at a lot of generators and I didn’t like the 75kw japans generators going for $3,500 to $4,500 .They all look the same but with different color wrapping and a different name .I came across a generator on search tempest and it was the MEP-003a and it walked all over the big box stores generators . I just won a generator on government liquidations and I hope it was worth it .I am from south east Massachusetts and have to drive down to Columbus Ohio to pick it up next week, is there anything I need to look out for when I pick it up? Here are some photos of the generator let me know what you think, It says 8 hours on the meter but that don’t mean anything .I build transmissions for a living. and I look for the small things like the bolt heads for rust (should tell me something about being weathered), oil stains, (give me an idea about run time) Dents and dings ( for over all abuse). All the panel meters are very clean and the panel looks very clean. It looks like the vin tag is new and I don’t know what that means because there is no build date stamped in it .Another question,, what is that black box on the fan cover with the wire comeing off it.Thanks for any input you might be able to tell me.

Dave

Last edited:

derf

All the info you need has been covered here. Just search the forum. Most answers can be found here:
MEP 002A and 003A - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

A member makes spin on filter kits which are great.
Post questions as you go. You will probably have to clean/flush the fuel system and tank.
#1 rule is do not let them idle. They should start and immediately run up to 1800 RPM and stay there.

storeman

Welcome to the board! Looks like you have a winner! It appears like there is a rebuild plaque above the data plate. If so, and it was done right. You have a new generator (practically speaking). The black box looks like a Solargizer control unit to maintain batteries.
Congrats,
Jerry :beer::beer:

L999here

Welcome....

Couldn't have said it any better,guys. Good advice. Welcome to the most addictive site for military stuff...especially vehicles.

Isaac-1

Welcome, and good luck, you may also want to look over in the GL section on advice and information regarding pick up at your specific location, things like access restrictions, which gate you must enter, etc..

Harleyd315

Congrats and good luck with your new generator!!! Try and get the battery hold down on the ground next to the generator in the one picture, doesn't appear that there is one on yours.

3dAngus

Also, Up at the top of this page, if you click on Resources, you can find all the necessary tech manuals for the MEP-003. Nice purchase. The MEP-003 is my favorite of all the generators.

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You probably have a nice generator. The Columbus, Ohio facility is a national storage facility. I think it is unlikely that they would be holding junk. On the contrary, they would tend to store equipment that is available quickly for units in the field. The tag info is not complete because that is not the original tag. The original tag was probably too damaged when it went out for refurbishment. During the rebuild, the depot undoubtedly changed that tag.

I'm just up the road from you. PM me if you get in a jam and need help. I have an 002, but it is very similar to your 003.

John

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard, you'll probably be going right by my place on the way to Columbus, or very near to it. If you have any issues or need assistance let me know. Good luck

Uloadit

Will I made it! hanging out on broad st .Have to sleep in my truck to night. I have a 9 AM load out time . can i come in the gate at 8 AM just to be in the gate > Or do I have to wate till 9 ? How long does it take to load up and be on my way,I got a 800 mile trip back

Isaac-1

If it is a site that requires GL pickups to enter through the commercial truck gate, I suggest getting there very early, I had a pickup at Hooks a couple of years ago scheduled for about 8:30 am, I arrived early at 7 am and the big trucks were already lining up for the 8:00 am gate opening., I managed to get through the gate at 8:25

Uloadit

yes she toled me to go in the james rd entrance. so i should get in line at 6;30 am?I am 2 miles down the street

Last edited:

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thats a good Idea. Hope you have a good pick up and safe trip home Welcome. I am about 1 hr away from you in Ma and have 2 003s and 4 002s so if you have any issues once you get home we are here to help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks