• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from AL, question about acquiring title here

ThunderOne

I have been looking at M1009s lately but the ones that are in good exterior/frame condition do not have titles.

If anyone knows anything about acquiring a title for an M1009 in the state of Alabama please let me know.

123mack

Are you planning on guying from GL or GSA? I bought my M1009 from GL. If you buy from GL, you must request the SF-97 (certificate to obtain title) and pay GL a fee. If you buy from a GSA auction, they will mail you the SF-97 in a few days after they're paid. Take the SF-97 with bill of sale to the county tag office where you live, give them some money and walk out with a tag. Thats how it worked for me. BTW I live in Chilton county.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

Where in AL are you?

If the truck was purchased from GL the person that bought it can go back to GL and request the SF-97 if they want to sell the truck.

A lot of these trucks were sold as "residue" from GL and other sites. Generally they do not give SF-97's for residue vehicles if they were listed that way in the auction. It may be impossible to get a title for these trucks legally.

I know where a couple of these vehicles are sitting at a body shop in Cherokee County....don't know if they are for sale.

ThunderOne

Thanks everyone. I will have to to check with getting an SF97 form. There are three in the veterans museum lot here in Huntsville that are in good condition. I will have to ask the owners if they bought them from GL. If they did, I will have to see if they can request an SF97 for me.

If worst comes to worst and they cannot recover an SF97, what should I do?

123mack

You can't get an SF-97 unless you buy it direct from the Federal gov. If the M1009 is owned by an individual, you'll have to go another route to obtain a title.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you planning on guying from GL or GSA? I bought my M1009 from GL. If you buy from GL, you must request the SF-97 (certificate to obtain title) and pay GL a fee. If you buy from a GSA auction, they will mail you the SF-97 in a few days after they're paid. Take the SF-97 with bill of sale to the county tag office where you live, give them some money and walk out with a tag. Thats how it worked for me. BTW I live in Chilton county.
I have resently noticed that on some auctions, GSA is now wanting you to "verify" the VIN and then request the SF-97.

Maybe they are taking a leason from GL????

123mack

Just a guess, but I'd say that an employee at the gov agency geting rid of one or more vehicles wrote down an incorrect vin on the paperwork turned in to the GSA. The result being a buyer stuck with a SF-97 where the vin didn't match the one on the vehicle.

ThunderOne

You can't get an SF-97 unless you buy it direct from the Federal gov. If the M1009 is owned by an individual, you'll have to go another route to obtain a title.
I am not sure if they obtained it from GL or the goverment, but I can see if they can request a form.

If not, do I use those title creating services? It looks like the one from Birmingham does not do military vehicles anymore.
http://www.broadwaytitle.com/PDF_Forms/Car-Package.pdf