• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Ft. Worth

redtank

I'm new to the forum so before posting this, I decided to read a few hundred postings from different areas of the forum to get a feel for what folks are interested in regarding FMV's and what's available to the public.
I'm here because I have a want to own a unique diesel truck. I've looked at most offerings from the big 3 and the pricing is a big turn off. As a kid I fell in love with deuce's, while hanging around motor pools (my father was career US Army enlisted man, so we lived on military posts scattered around the world). A bobbed deuce would work well for my needs.
Are there any MV owners in the DFW area that would share some pointers for owning and operating a deuce here in Texas? Buying a MV from a member that knows the ropes is more appealing than going the auction route.

Chris

Last edited:

velociT

Buying a truck you can touch and drive is always a big plus.

You won't need an inspection in TX, you'll want to add TCW3 2 stroke oil to every tank (thanks to ULSD), you won't need a CDL or commercial insurance...

Bout all I can think of right now.

Hogg

Welcome from your neighbor to the north... I think you'll find that owning and operating an MV in Texas will be much the same as owning one in Oklahoma. If you can find a deuce that has already been registered and tagged in Texas it shouldn't be much of a problem. I have a M1009 and my boss has a deuce, M1009, and a HMMWV all from auctions. They are all tagged and street legal... That will probably be the somewhat troublesome area for you. Plenty of good info and help on here. Good luck hunting

sti-nkr

Mine's insured a "flatbed truck" registered as a regular truck (bit pricey). Please tell me more about this whole not needing to be inspected deal... I'm curious.

oh yeah, welcome! you should come down the rally thing in Bryan college station.

Last edited:

dabtl

Come up to Denton Town on Oct. 16 to meet up with the local MV owners and Vietnam Vets 920 in the UNT Home Coming Parade. You will meet a lot of nice people, plus me, and learn everything you might want to know about deuces, more or less.

redtank

Thanks to all who replied. Question about adding the oil to each tank of fuel:
I've read and several diesel truck forums where folks have had leakage problems with their older injection pumps (VW, Mercedes, Cummin's, etc.) due to old seals and the low sulphur fuels aggravating the problem, yet after a pump rebuild, things are back to normal. VelociT, are you suggesting a need for more lubrication due to the lack of sulphur being an issue due to pump design? I have an '06 TDI Jetta that has no problems with our local fuels, but it may have been built for ULSD.
79driver, I'd like to see your truck sometime, thanks.

Chris

dabtl

Dabtl,
Where abouts in Denton will the parade be held? I'd like to go up there and see the event. I'm not too far from Denton, but it's a big town.

Chris

We form up on the south side of UNT on S Welch around 10:30. Usually ten to 15 vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks