• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from GA

JRAY

Hello from Georgia. New to the site and looking for a truck, leaning 5 ton, but still taking it all in. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

zout

Welcome from the North end of Ga.

There will be riders spots available for the Columbus Veterans Day Parade Nov 9th - check out the thread and get started off in a good way.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome, Georgia members rock! 5Tons are nice but heavy and the new ones complicated. 2.5 Tons are nice especially if somebody has taken care of the basics. Read and evaluate your skills and time against the requirements. Always remember what you buy for is not the total cost of investment. These things cost money to maintain and operate!

3dAngus

Welcome.
I recommend you check into neighborhood rules, city restrictions, insurance and state licensing requirements before you buy a 5 ton.
Maybe someone in your area has one and can shed more light on it or you can drive the 40 miles to Columbus and see Papabear and learn all about it. They will be driving some in the Veterans Day parade there.

JRAY

Thanks guys, for the replies, welcomes, info, and advice. I'm not stuck on the 5 ton. I was initially wanting an expendable van body unit, but I've also looked at 2.5 ton version. Just researching the pros and cons of each and looking for advice from the guys that know, all of you.

Last edited:

zout

More reason to come to Columbus the 9th - PaPa Bear has an expando 934 - he might even let you look at it :) - heck - he might even sell it to ya.

wilfreeman

I'm a newbee to the big trucks too - alot more involved than a Jeep! I'm still working on insurance! If you have a farm, you've got it made as far as insurance and tag. So far, Progressive commercial (through USAA), and Gulfway are my only 2 options. Collector car insurance is an option if you have a BIG garage (fully enclosed garage at that, not a carport or pole barn).

Well, thats my experience with the big trucks so far - 2 months in.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from another member who is NOT in Georgia.

(I love you guys.) :)

JRAY

I'm a newbee to the big trucks too - alot more involved than a Jeep! I'm still working on insurance! If you have a farm, you've got it made as far as insurance and tag. So far, Progressive commercial (through USAA), and Gulfway are my only 2 options. Collector car insurance is an option if you have a BIG garage (fully enclosed garage at that, not a carport or pole barn).

Well, thats my experience with the big trucks so far - 2 months in.
Yep, had my share of Jeeps also. I've been wanting one of these for a few years now, but so bad now, that I can't stand it.

More reason to come to Columbus the 9th - PaPa Bear has an expando 934 - he might even let you look at it :smile: - heck - he might even sell it to ya.
Yeah, probably need to make that then.
Welcome from another member who is NOT in Georgia.

(I love you guys.)
I noticed that. Guess I'm good if I need local expertise or help!

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Welcome to you, Georgia, from up here in The Old Dominion State of Virginia:

- Take advantage of the archived wisdom of the site and enter searches for "Insurance", "Deuce vs 5-ton", etc.; a lot of your questions will find ready-made answers.

- We look forward to hearing what direction you end up taking, and either way you'll be good. The old military iron always returns satisfaction.

Keep us posted!

JRAY

Welcome to you, Georgia, from up here in The Old Dominion State of Virginia:

- Take advantage of the archived wisdom of the site and enter searches for "Insurance", "Deuce vs 5-ton", etc.; a lot of your questions will find ready-made answers.

- We look forward to hearing what direction you end up taking, and either way you'll be good. The old military iron always returns satisfaction.

Keep us posted!
Thanks! I've been snooping around checking out some of those threads before I joined, but will continue to do so. So many choices.......

Another Ahab

Thanks! I've been snooping around checking out some of those threads before I joined, but will continue to do so. So many choices.......
Oh yeah, I know; I hear you. You can get lost in the content sometimes there's so much.

I've wondered if we couldn't all pitch in and offer a lifetime supply of jaw-breakers, or something to some IT-savvy fifth grader to cross-reference and catalogue all the thread content someday, you know?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hello from Georgia. New to the site and looking for a truck, leaning 5 ton, but still taking it all in. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!
I sent you a PM Bro...ball's in your court to get a "knowledge overload" and share an experience you won't soon forget on 9 Nov.

You are welcome to come and ya don't to bring anything...well...unless ya have an extra bottle of "Crown" just sitting around.

Attachments

JRAY

Welcome to SS from North Alabama!
Thanks! I have a good friend that lives in Athens and the wife's family lives in Hartselle/Decatur. In that area often.

Again, to everyone else, thanks for all the welcomes! I can already tell that this is something that I want to be involved in.

papabear, I sent you a reply. At this moment, I believe that I might be able to make it so I'm going to try and plan for to be there.

Last edited:

zout

I believe that I might be able to make it

What is that ?
With CAMO and less than one week away - the second most MV related event in Ga (compared to the GA RALLY) and your thinkin about it ?
Just make plans now - easy to find and your a lot closer than I am not to make it - must dump any other plans you have its easy.

I guarantee after your first Veterans Day Parade down there you will never miss another one.