• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello From Ireland - M1044 Owner

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That bumper is telling a story but I don't know what it's saying. Any history on the truck?

We've got some deep family roots from Ireland so welcome aboard and can't wait to see pictures from every corner of that beautiful countryside.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck. I can imagine many a bóithrín where that will be a handful!

Interesting mix of USMC and Army style markings, are any original? Is the USMC license plate original?

Cheers

Jayo

A great truck with much (nice looking) original equipment. Welcome. (and, see you and 'it') at paddock pud this year?)
Thanks dmetalmiki - is that the War and peace Show?

I dont think I will make it this year, but perhaps next year I will. My truck need a bit of TLC, Im thinking of a new paint job!

Mind you, I think my truck may have been at that show a couple of times before with the previous owner.

I bought this truck off a guy from Birmingham who has rebuilt/restored a few HMMWVs at this stage. Some of his HMMWVs were used in the movie Green Zone, an episode of 24 and I think also in a BBC drama called "Our Girl".

Jayo

Very nice truck. I can imagine many a bóithrín where that will be a handful!

Interesting mix of USMC and Army style markings, are any original? Is the USMC license plate original?

Cheers
Hi M813rc,

Yeah, Ive had some fun on narrow country roads - mind you the other road users have had even more fun when they meet the Truck!!!!

I dont think any of the markings are origional. I bought this truck from a guy in the UK who's hobby is rebuilding HMMWVs, I imagine that the markings are just fictitious rather than original.

As for the licence plate - that is actually it's UK registration number so its not a genuine USMC registration.

Jayo

That bumper is telling a story but I don't know what it's saying. Any history on the truck?

We've got some deep family roots from Ireland so welcome aboard and can't wait to see pictures from every corner of that beautiful countryside.
Thanks M1010plowboy,

I dont have any history on the truck - but when I saw it for sale the IBIS Tek bumper is what made it for me.

I have some close ties to family around Peterborough in Ontario. Its been a few years since I was last there, but I love Canada!

tommys2patrick

Howdy and welcome from Colorado! Very good looking truck. Going to try and repaint to more of a restored military look--Army , Marines ???? Are their any Irish markings you could put on it that would be authentic?

Jayo

Howdy and welcome from Colorado! Very good looking truck. Going to try and repaint to more of a restored military look--Army , Marines ???? Are their any Irish markings you could put on it that would be authentic?
Thanks Tommy,

I think I am going to try a USMC look, as authentic as I can - mind you I have a lot of research to do!!!!

I would love to put some Irish markings on it but I think I will stay clear of that for now.

In Ireland it is illegal to impersonate a member of the defence forces. So I have a huge amount of US gear, but I dont have a single piece of Irish Army clothing/gear in case I ended up in trouble.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have pictures of USMC Humvees from my son's motor pool that I can share with you. USMC vehicles tend to be rather anonymous, with little to indicate unit.

I was born in Dublin, grew up in Co. Dublin/Wicklow into my teens, when the family moved to the US. I'm in the early negotiations on a 1966 Land Rover that I will finish in Irish army colours, if I get it.

Cheers

Jayo

I have pictures of USMC Humvees from my son's motor pool that I can share with you. USMC vehicles tend to be rather anonymous, with little to indicate unit.

I was born in Dublin, grew up in Co. Dublin/Wicklow into my teens, when the family moved to the US. I'm in the early negotiations on a 1966 Land Rover that I will finish in Irish army colours, if I get it.

Cheers
Wow M813RC - I would really really appreciate that - Im trying to get as many reference pictures as I can.

The primary reason for the repaint is that my truck was originally green, but was then sprayed tan, but the tan is now pealing in a lot of places and I figure the best thing to do is repaint tan. I also have a very small bit of rust on the roof that I want to sort out before it takes hold.

Your land rover project sounds great - I hope you get it. Did you say 1966 or was that a typo?

I have to say that I love the modern Irish Army uniform, I think it is one of the nicest DPM variants out there - I wish I could wear it

Awol

Nice truck! You're very lucky to start off with something that already has a slant back roof, hard doors, and a fording kit.

I always wanted to visit Ireland. Some of my ancestors came from over there.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, 1966 is correct! :) Belongs to an uncle. It's the one in the picture.
I remember seeing them as a kid in the late 60s. I think it would look splendid in deep bronze green with Irish division plates. Don't know where to find those, though. :/

USMC markings (modern) -
Identification markings are done in 2" tall letters/numerals (roughly 52mm for metric types!). The stroke of the lettering is 3/8" (roughly 10mm)
Informational markings are 1" (NO STEP, SLING, etc.) (26mm).
Black on tan/green/brown, green on black areas.

Most times, markings are stenciled on in paint. In the past, they have sometimes been applied in vinyl lettering, but this is apparently no longer authorized because they peel off too easily.

The vehicle ID is always six numbers, no letters. If your vehicle is original USMC, it will be the serial number stamped on the data plate.
The first two indicate vehicle type, most later Humvees will be 61XXXX or 62XXXX.

There will be a unit marking stenciled on the vehicle, 2" tall. This starts with an M, followed by five numbers. In the attached, M11400 is the 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, my son's unit.
The first number usually matches the Marine division, but not always. Thus most west coast units start with a 1 for 1st MarDiv, east coast 2 for 2nd MarDiv. 3rd MarDiv is based on Okinawa, 4th is the reserve division.
On Humvees, this is usually painted on the body side, under the doors, and "somewhere" on the back, though many Humvees are missing the back one.

Note the style of M in the markings, this appears to be peculiar to the Marines.

There are always exceptions, and things done improperly. If you can see in the picture of the camouflaged vehicle, the markings are done in vinyl stick on, which are peeling off. These apparently only came in black, so the advisory markings on the black areas are also done in black, the sheen being the only thing that makes them visible!
Note that one of the tan Humvees has rather skinny lettering.

Cheers

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I included a cropped version of the camouflaged Humvee so hopefully the markings can be better seen than in the version attached above.

You will often find embarkation codes painted on Marine vehicles. This will be on the right front somewhere. On Humvees, it is painted on the right front corner of the bonnet/hood.

All lettering is 1/2" (roughly 13mm).
The top row is condition code. In the example here, on an M931A2, the F indicates that the vehicle is obsolescent, so if it suffered major damage, it would be scrapped rather than repaired. New, or newly rebuilt vehicles are coded A, ones that have been around a while seem to usually be coded E.
Receipt indicates when the currently owning unit received the vehicle.
Pres indicates that this vehicle would drive on/off the ship under its own power.
The 2320-etc is the vehicle NSN. Looks like the NSN for an M1044 is 2320-01-146-7189 (unless you have an A1).
The CARC 01/08 indicates that this vehicle received it's last total repaint in January 2008. Most of the later vehicles have WR CARC xx/xx, the WR indicating Water Reducible paint as opposed to other chemical thinners.

If you decide you want this marking, I have a stencil cutter of this size and can make it for you and post it across.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks