• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Massachusetts!

kastein

Hi all...

Forget how I found the site, probably Google, but I've wanted to buy an M35 for years now. Hopefully will be managing to get one from Fort Meade (though I hear they commonly have rust issues here) soon!

I've got plenty of probably-stupid, probably-common questions... this is likely not the place to ask them. Already read the operations manual and got the two tech manuals, will be reading them as soon as I get a chance. Been browsing around the forum trying to find answers to my questions BEFORE starting yet another repeat thread:deadhorse:

Other vehicles I have (all non-military) - 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ on 33s and 3" of lift, 1991 Jeep Comanche MJ (completely stock, converting to 4wd right now), and a 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ (completely stock, bought it to replace the 96 when I manage to break the rusty body in half.) Can't wait to have a real truck!

I've had my eye on the camo painted pickup the Worcester PD keeps parked out from for a while as well, looks like a retired CUCV to me but I'm not sure. They never seem to do anything with it so I kinda wonder if they'd sell it.

- Ken

zout

welcome aboard and good start on looking for info first before posting - almost everything you need is above in resources.

You may be sorry now that your addiction has started that you found yourself here.
Whatever you do - always post pics otherwise it is hearsay and vicious rumors.

kastein

Oh... my addiction started long ago :doh: I really like strong, capable vehicles. Looking forward to owning one that can carry any one of my other vehicles while towing another!

I don't have a camera right now because it got stolen, but rest assured I will find a way to take pictures if I succeed in getting a deuce :-D

DieselBob

Welcome to the "addiction". Common is the statement I only want/need fill in the blank. Then it is I just have to have XXXXX to go with blank. Then I only need this one last item to finish my collection. But it's fun :grin:

Engine5

Welcome, from Millbury MA, right next door to you. You missed one by 2 weeks, I just sold one of my M35A2. Anytime you want to check one out or take a ride look me up I still have one. Green machines are like Cheeto's, you cant have just one.

Attachments

kastein

Thanks all!

Welcome, from Millbury MA, right next door to you. You missed one by 2 weeks, I just sold one of my M35A2. Anytime you want to check one out or take a ride look me up I still have one. Green machines are like Cheeto's, you cant have just one.
Darn! Just curious, how much is the going rate for one in OK shape around here? I saw someone selling em for 4k asking price on CL, but that seems a bit steep, I'd rather pick one up for ~1500-2k and fix it myself.

Welcome from Leominster, Ma!

You should check the listings for this state on GSA auctions, that is where the surplus trucks from state forestry are listed when they get auctioned
Ahhh... thanks. I've been using GL mostly because I already had an account there, the closest I've found deuces were Fort Meade and Fort Drum. I drive by the Worcester national guard facility with their row of deuces, hummers, and other vehicles every day on my way to work and it's driving me nuts!

Welcome from northern ma, free up some parking space, these things multiply :)
The house I'm trying to buy right now has a fairly large driveway and a nice yard behind it :D

Diesel Dennis

Good Morning Mass Troops !
I live in Ma about 20 min. west of Worcester. I brought home my Deuce a few months ago and got it registered and insured (regular commercial ) the same week.
She has been serviced, battery box replaced ( Thanks, Deuceman ), Spin on oil filters installed (Thanks, Jatonka ) and have been roaring around town since!!
Last week I had the pleasure of a rear wheel overhaul due to a leaking wheel seal.
Warming her up for another blast around town today.
Any of you local guys need a hand let me know, I'll do my best to pitch in !!

DD

pwrwagonfire

Good Morning Mass Troops !
I live in Ma about 20 min. west of Worcester. I brought home my Deuce a few months ago and got it registered and insured (regular commercial ) the same week.
She has been serviced, battery box replaced ( Thanks, Deuceman ), Spin on oil filters installed (Thanks, Jatonka ) and have been roaring around town since!!
Last week I had the pleasure of a rear wheel overhaul due to a leaking wheel seal.
Warming her up for another blast around town today.
Any of you local guys need a hand let me know, I'll do my best to pitch in !!

DD
Welcome! Where abouts you located if you don't mind me asking? I'm over in Leominster myself

Diesel Dennis

Welcome! Where abouts you located if you don't mind me asking? I'm over in Leominster myself
pwrwagonfire, thanks for the welcome
I'm located in Charlton, right next to Sturbridge.

I went through Leominster yesterday, working on a genset in Ayer that had the "Magic Smoke" escape from the main alternator.

Generator service (day job) funds my OD addiction!

DD

BEASTMASTER

hey wilpot, welcome to the club. my buddie has a garage in plympton,ma and loves working on these things. and he has a yard full of these toys. and loves to give tours.

kastein

Welcome!

I am currently in Worcester, my M54A2 is in Mont Vernon NH till I manage to get a roof back onto the house I bought in Southbridge, then I am going and getting it off my (very tolerant) friend's lawn after we finish fixing the engine! I will be in the Southbridge area soon.

What was the registration process? How did you end up insuring it and what kind of plates did you get? How expensive was it?

Mine was built in 58 and rebuilt in 90 so I cannot get antique plates for another 5 years :( I am trying to figure out how to get the state to retitle it but getting wildly different answers from different people.

Katahdin

Greetings from a former exclave of Massachusetts! My grandfather's family is in Billerica and my wife has an office in Marlborough she visits once a week. Also have some friends who went to WPI and currently live in Oxford.

I may be hitching a ride down soon with my wife just so I can go to the Harbor Freight store you guys have in Worcester.

Welcome to SS!