• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from MD

rarefish383

Hey guys and gals. I may be just passing through, I'm trying to ID an old truck. My neighbor was at a farm auction and the truck didn't get any bids so they paid him to haul it away for scrap. But, before I post a pic I do love most anything military. In high school my best friend had an old White Half Track. He quit collecting cool stuff years ago. So, his little brother took over for him. Little bro has a Deuce, a Wrecker, and a Weasle, plus about 20 other vehicles. If he sees this, hey Rob. Now for a pic of this truck I'm trying to ID. I'm guessing it as from the 30's. It's four wheel drive. The axles are of a clam shell design. On the hood latch are the letters FWD, and on the grill it has FWD on a diagonal. Thanks for any help, Joe

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWD 1945.jpgFWD 2.jpgFWD 3.jpg Joe, welcome aboard from Nevada. I found this 1945 FWD snow blower. The grill looks similar to yours. FWD stands for (four wheel drive) they make specialty trucks, and as of 2009 they are still in business in Florida. In the 1950s FWD built this large truck called a Teracruzer for transporting outsized loads over rough terrain. I hate juggle these pictures. FWD Teracruzer.jpg FWD Teracruzer 2.jpg

Last edited:

rarefish383

Thanks, some of the guys on an arborist site I hang out on recognized it too. One said it looked like a 52-3 model LD, so I did a search of that and it looks dead on. My neighbor is a little strange, He had a Massey Ferguson 175 that he ran a stick through the radiator, probably 10 years ago. Never fixed it. Back in the summer I asked if he wanted to sell it and he said sure. I told him I'd give him his price and would be back in two weeks. I came back and it was gone. He said "Oh, I finally sold that thing". All he does for a living is haul a little scrap metal. He cleaned up all the old junk around my hunting camp/trailer. I'm afraid to ask if he wants to sell it, or like the tractor, when I get back with the money, it will be gone. I've got to decide how much I'd give him and show up with a couple off "C" notes. The other thing is the auction company gave it to him for scrap so he didn't ask for a title. Now that I know what it is I can research and see if I can find a value, thanks again.

Katavic, thanks for the welcome, I go through Manchester all the time, love the back roads up there. My daughter went to school in Reading, Alvernia. There is some really cool stuff up there. I saw a couple JD/Lindeman crawlers in the woods.

I may stop in from time to time. There are a couple old military vehicles that are on my wish list. I'd love to have a Studebaker Weasel. I forget the name, but there was a little cargo mover, Vietnam era. Looked like a flat platform with a seat and engine, fwd. If I wind up getting the old FWD Ill post more pics, Joe.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, some of the guys on an arborist site I hang out on recognized it too. One said it looked like a 52-3 model LD, so I did a search of that and it looks dead on. My neighbor is a little strange, He had a Massey Ferguson 175 that he ran a stick through the radiator, probably 10 years ago. Never fixed it. Back in the summer I asked if he wanted to sell it and he said sure. I told him I'd give him his price and would be back in two weeks. I came back and it was gone. He said "Oh, I finally sold that thing". All he does for a living is haul a little scrap metal. He cleaned up all the old junk around my hunting camp/trailer. I'm afraid to ask if he wants to sell it, or like the tractor, when I get back with the money, it will be gone. I've got to decide how much I'd give him and show up with a couple off "C" notes. The other thing is the auction company gave it to him for scrap so he didn't ask for a title. Now that I know what it is I can research and see if I can find a value, thanks again.

Katavic, thanks for the welcome, I go through Manchester all the time, love the back roads up there. My daughter went to school in Reading, Alvernia. There is some really cool stuff up there. I saw a couple JD/Lindeman crawlers in the woods.

I may stop in from time to time. There are a couple old military vehicles that are on my wish list. I'd love to have a Studebaker Weasel. I forget the name, but there was a little cargo mover, Vietnam era. Looked like a flat platform with a seat and engine, fwd. If I wind up getting the old FWD Ill post more pics, Joe.
Welcome from about 5 miles south of you! Regarding the latter, you are talking about an M274 mule. They are really cool.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and hobby,That would be an interesting restoration job. But a lot of work. As mentioned before it is exactly that (make) an FWD. Used to see plenty of those in the 50's as snow ploughs.

rarefish383

Thanks again guys, I'll try and stop by now and again. As dmetalmiki said, this one was set up to plow. There are a lot of small coal mines in the area so it may have been a small quarry truck also. Bkubu, you are just down the road a bit, Joe.