• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from New York

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome,

Are you buying off this site>...?

Way back when, I bought my 1st off a gentleman here on steel soldiers. The support here is priceless. Make a thread and take pictures of your recovery.

You know this gets kinda addictive and there is NO chantix to help, LOL.....

Good luck bro..

Attachments

BT3583

Welcome,

Are you buying off this site>...?

Way back when, I bought my 1st off a gentleman here on steel soldiers. The support here is priceless. Make a thread and take pictures of your recovery.

You know this gets kinda addictive and there is NO chantix to help, LOL.....

Good luck bro..
Thanks! So far I have been talking with the guys over at Eastern Surplus about getting one of there trucks. For this one I'm looking for something that is ready to roll and enjoy. Perhaps a project truck will be later down the road.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eastern Surplus is about as reputable as it gets. Document your recovery, you will enjoy every mile of your 45 mph crawl back home.

My last recovery I flew from Flint, Michigan to Miami international to Oddballs LZ, then convoyed up I-75 to the Georgia Rally, then began the long trek up 75 home, @ 45 Mph. Best time I had in years.

How far are you going back to the LZ........?

Don

Last edited:

fasttruck

Don't make a move without the pubs: operators' manual. organizational maintenance manual, parts book, and a lubrication order. All of which can be downloaded off this site so you can start reading them now. A M35A2 has over 40 grease points, 4 on the handbrake alone. Neglect them at your own peril. Grease is cheap parts are expensive. Be guided accordingly A vehicle with manual steering definitely requires some attention to the front end if you want to steer it easily.

BT3583

Eastern Surplus is about as reputable as it gets. Document your recovery, you will enjoy every mile of your 45 mph crawl back home.

My last recovery I flew from Flint, Michigan to Miami international to Oddballs LZ, then convoyed up I-75 to the Georgia Rally, then began the long trek up 75 home, @ 45 Mph. Best time I had in years.

How far are you going back to the LZ........?

Don
Really looking forward to when I can crawl her back home. We about about 2 1/2 hours from Eastern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BT3583

Don't make a move without the pubs: operators' manual. organizational maintenance manual, parts book, and a lubrication order. All of which can be downloaded off this site so you can start reading them now. A M35A2 has over 40 grease points, 4 on the handbrake alone. Neglect them at your own peril. Grease is cheap parts are expensive. Be guided accordingly A vehicle with manual steering definitely requires some attention to the front end if you want to steer it easily.
Thanks for the info fasttruck! I have started reading through some of the manuals. I think part of the fun is doing all the proper preventative maintenance, the best way to learn about her!

fasttruck

If your PM is tight you will survive out on the big road. I put 40,000 miles into a M818 while serving in reserve components and got through that with a couple of sets of tires, 4 batteries, some light bulbs. oil and filter changes and lots of grease. When I retired it still had the same u-joints in it and the same clutch. In was put on the truck initially because it had a new clutch and it survived inspite of the fact everything I did was heavy. Grease is cheap. Parts cost money. Be guided accordingly. Tire survivability improved when I got the truck off NDT tires and switched to radials. t didn't go faster but it would go up hill one gear ahead of what it did on bias tires.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just wanted to say hello and say thanks for all the great information. I have learned a lot so far from you guys! I am now starting to do my research to acquire my 1st M35A2.
Welcome from North Carolina!

There is a thread on here that offers ideas for a toolkit and useful things to have when something goes wrong. It might be worth a read. This particular list was compiled by an LMTV owner, but the biggest majority of it (minus the metric tools) will apply to your truck. Best part is the list "gets you thinkin" about what might work for you...

BT3583

If your PM is tight you will survive out on the big road. I put 40,000 miles into a M818 while serving in reserve components and got through that with a couple of sets of tires, 4 batteries, some light bulbs. oil and filter changes and lots of grease. When I retired it still had the same u-joints in it and the same clutch. In was put on the truck initially because it had a new clutch and it survived inspite of the fact everything I did was heavy. Grease is cheap. Parts cost money. Be guided accordingly. Tire survivability improved when I got the truck off NDT tires and switched to radials. t didn't go faster but it would go up hill one gear ahead of what it did on bias tires.
I was actually hoping to do the radials right away but think will have to do that later down the road. Was hoping to put a set of G177's on right away, but the money adds up fast! What tires are you running? Thanks!

Last edited:

Lukes_deuce

Welcome to the club from a fellow NYer. Where in NY are you?

There are many trucks for sale right now. Depending on your mechanical ability, I wouldnt put it past a private sale to get a good deal on a truck. I know a few guys locally on LI and we are heading to PA for an off roading trip in a few weeks.

BT3583

Welcome to the club from a fellow NYer. Where in NY are you?

There are many trucks for sale right now. Depending on your mechanical ability, I wouldnt put it past a private sale to get a good deal on a truck. I know a few guys locally on LI and we are heading to PA for an off roading trip in a few weeks.
Thanks! I'm about an hour north of NYC, where are you? I think I decided to go with Eastern Surplus in Philly for the 1st one. After talking with them and hearing positive comments here I feel I'm going to get a good mechanically sound truck. I wish I had the time for a project, perhaps in the future. I think learning about, maintaining and enjoying my new Deuce will keep me plenty busy!

Where in PA are you guys headed, sounds like a fun time.

BT3583

Welcome from North Carolina!

There is a thread on here that offers ideas for a toolkit and useful things to have when something goes wrong. It might be worth a read. This particular list was compiled by an LMTV owner, but the biggest majority of it (minus the metric tools) will apply to your truck. Best part is the list "gets you thinkin" about what might work for you...
Thank! Trying to get my list of must haves to keep on the Deuce, if it can go wrong it will go wrong! LOL

Lukes_deuce

Thanks! I'm about an hour north of NYC, where are you? I think I decided to go with Eastern Surplus in Philly for the 1st one. After talking with them and hearing positive comments here I feel I'm going to get a good mechanically sound truck. I wish I had the time for a project, perhaps in the future. I think learning about, maintaining and enjoying my new Deuce will keep me plenty busy!

Where in PA are you guys headed, sounds like a fun time.
Im in the middle of LI, on the Nassau Suffolk Boarder. We are heading to Rausch Creek, which is in Pine Grove PA. Its a a few hour drive for us.

Maybe you can join us in the Spring and test out your new deuce!

BT3583

Hi all, know it's been a while. Will finally be getting my Deuce on Monday! Just wanted to share some pics. I started another thread in the Deuce forum (not sure if it was the correct place) about the best way to register in NY. I was originally thinking historical but now I'm not sure, I do have a transferrable title. What have some of my other fellow New Yorkers done? Register regular private use commercial? What is it classified as? The fact the most of the DMV's around here are still closed and the next appointment is the end of March would like to do it all by mail. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking truck, got some things that stand out in a good way. The front lockout hubs, the hard top, and the drop sides are awesome pluses in my opinion. That’s three things I’m slowly gathering for mine. Only thing that I’m curious about is the bed. Seams to be a converted 5ton bed unless I’m mistaken. The taller front wall and the back lower bracing is a giveaway. Nothing wrong with that as I’d take it in a heart beat. Again good looking truck. I can’t help with the title processes or the registration as I’m in Tennessee, but someone will be along shortly in either thread to help you out.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all, know it's been a while. Will finally be getting my Deuce on Monday! Just wanted to share some pics. I started another thread in the Deuce forum (not sure if it was the correct place) about the best way to register in NY. I was originally thinking historical but now I'm not sure, I do have a transferrable title. What have some of my other fellow New Yorkers done? Register regular private use commercial? What is it classified as? The fact the most of the DMV's around here are still closed and the next appointment is the end of March would like to do it all by mail. Thanks for the help!
Really nice looking truck. The headboard is wrong for an A2C (dropside truck). Ask Dave Newman or Bill Peaslee to get you the correct headboard. If they don't have one, they are around. Your truck is one of the later ones with the dual circuit brake system, which is much safer. Good luck!

BT3583

Great looking truck, got some things that stand out in a good way. The front lockout hubs, the hard top, and the drop sides are awesome pluses in my opinion. That’s three things I’m slowly gathering for mine. Only thing that I’m curious about is the bed. Seams to be a converted 5ton bed unless I’m mistaken. The taller front wall and the back lower bracing is a giveaway. Nothing wrong with that as I’d take it in a heart beat. Again good looking truck. I can’t help with the title processes or the registration as I’m in Tennessee, but someone will be along shortly in either thread to help you out.
Thank you! Yeah looking at the bed it does look like a modified 5 ton bed. I’m ok with that, I really wanted the drop sides. She’s going to be a lot of fun!

BT3583

Really nice looking truck. The headboard is wrong for an A2C (dropside truck). Ask Dave Newman or Bill Peaslee to get you the correct headboard. If they don't have one, they are around. Your truck is one of the later ones with the dual circuit brake system, which is much safer. Good luck!
Thank you! I will look into the headboard and see what I can find. She’s a 1988 and definitely happy about the brakes! Thanks again fir the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks