• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from northern Minnesota

moose97

Hi. My wife works at the local VA Clinic as a LPN, and she chats with one of the guys there who's a gear-head and former Marine. Anyway, she suggested that I "get a hobby," and hang out with Billy to get myself a truck to fix up. Billy and I started chatting and I've always wanted a military vehicle, and he plans on being my help on the project. Now, I've got no idea how far out a purchase is, nor am I exactly sure what I want either. I would love a large truck (I was looking at GL and saw the 923's they have - man, one of those would be sweet!), but not sure about maintenance. I'm keeping an eye on those auctions to see how much they go for... I also would love something more vintage too. M37's look neat, as I don't really want anything as small as a Willey's. A duce and a half sounds cool too. Ideally, I'd like to spend ~ $2000 give or take off the bat, and go from there.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Am I completely out of line on my initial purchase estimate? I know I've seen vehicles in that range, but would they be in such bad shape that I wouldn't be able to restore? Thanks for any advice!

The 5-ton trucks are undeniably cool, but unless you have a class B license, you might have a problem. I aquired a deuce almost 3 months ago and I love it! Being that I live in The People's Republik of Kommiefornia, I would need a class B to avoid being written for driving out of class, so I'm planning to bob it. Aside from the legality issue, I have several other reasons for bobbing my truck including (but not limited to) increase in fuel milage, making it steer easier, signifigant decrease in turning radius, and easier to park. I have a few other reasons to bob it that I won't get into here, but of all the bobbers out there, my truck will be different and distinct. If you're more into the purist mindset, restoring a deuce isn't difficult and parts are plentiful. As far as your price range goes, you might find one for a couple grand, but it probably won't be too pretty. Typically, a deuce will go around $3000 and up depending on condition and what it's got on/in it. Good luck in your quest and let us know how it goes!
:popcorn:

Last edited:

moose97

I've got a Class B (I drive school bus), so that's no big deal. Good to know I'm not far off in my initial estimate for cost. Like I said - I really would like a larger truck... :cool:

HASSON1911

Ohhh a city boy, haha just kidding, your more northern than most, and since I've been here its a pretty elite bunch I believe, Now for you truck your wondering about $2k is you can get a little bit more say $3.5k - $4k you can get a nice deuce. I got mine for $3.5k but it was probably worth closer to about $5-6k but the guy wanted to get rid of it. Now if you want a really big project I have pictures of a fixer upper crew cab deuce that the guy never finished, perfect for a hobby truck. Plus with a deuce all you need is a class D license so you should be good to drive it right away, and if you live in the out skirts of bemidji your even sitting better for a large MV.
Oh and lastly welcome to the site neighbor![thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks