• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Pennsylvania

Dipstick

Thank you for adding me to the group! I just recently got my first MV. It's a 1968 M35A2 multi fuel with a winch. I'm told that this particular truck was used in the New Jersey Pineberons as a recovery truck for people who got their 4x4s stuck. I'm also told that it has a cult following in certain circles that remember this truck and hate the idea of it being changed in any way. If anyone recognizes this truck I would like to keep it's memory alive. I would like any photos or stories about it so I can document them and save them. I don't want to loose it's history military or civilian. That said it's in rough shape body wise. I want to restore this truck back to it's original military look. It runs strong, has good axeles, a good transmission, and good transfer case. The frame is solid and doesn't show any signs of stress damage like loose crossmembers or broken mounts. Everything works mechanically. I have not tried the winch yet. I should add that I'm a heavy diesel mechanic with 20 years experience and I've researched the M35A2 extensively on this sight and all over the internet. I'm going to do a complete over haul of the brake system, all hubs, and wheel bearings. Form follows function and the single circuit brake system is this trucks most frightening weak point. I've read about the hydro-max/hydro-boost upgrade and that's definitely an in the future project. I need to find tires for it too. All ten of them are dry rotted BADLY! I don't have a big budget right now but tires are needed so I can drive it around and after the brake overhaul that's my next big expense. Then it's on to the body work.
I have the beginnings of rust in the same spots you do on your cab. I noticed you're missing the two spring hold down latches at the front of your hood. I've bought those before. I'll try to dig up the receipts for them if you want to know where to get them. There are two more on the top of the hood that engage hold down loops that prevent the hood from blowing closed on you when you have the hood up. That winch looks pretty awesome!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't say I know Kearny well. I went to the Chester Jackson truck driving school there. It's a pretty neat thought towing a small Jeep with a J10. You must have really felt adult plowing with the jeep at that age. You never see kids helping with yard work anymore. The first half of my Saturdays growing up belonged to my Dad. The brothers and I always helped him with mowing, raking, digging ditches, cleaning gutters and the like. That's how you learn the value of work and how to be a homeowner one day. My Dad used to send me to snow shovel the elder neighbors homes when I was only seven. I was mowing lawns for my Neighbors at about 12 years. The people across the street from me have a 14 year old son. I have never seen him rake a leaf or mow. There is no way in hell I would pay someone to mow my lawn if I had a 14 year old at home. I had my son soldering copper pipe at the age of 10 and now he's an electrical foreman and a journeyman in PA and NJ for a company that does commercial and industrial electrical work only. I've got deer in my yard every day up here in the Poconos. Sorry I got a little off track here, but I really did enjoy getting your response. It can be a small world sometimes!
Owen,

I believe you clearly stated the problem with the youth of today. Sad part is it isn't the kids fault that their parents (the droopy drawers crowd) didn't see fit to MAKE them do something to help out around the house. I remember getting an allowance when I was a youngster. I learned pretty quick that Friday was pay day - and even quicker - when I didn't do the jobs assigned that getting paid wasn't happening!

Somewhere along the way, I started cutting our grass. I was given a particular day to do it. Can't remember for sure - but I vividly remember NOT doing it one day. Dad came home from work. We sat down to eat. (Oh, and you aked to be excused from the table too!) When dinner was finished, dad asked "what happened with the grass today?". I think I answered with something stooopid like "I forgot". I remember being told that I should go get it done now. Almost dark... I mentioned that and dad got up, walked to the tool drawer and got me a flashlight. I never forgot it ever again!

Later, I remember earning $3 a yard for cutting other people's yards. AND another learning experience happened there too. Lawn mower finally died and so I (big dummy) was expecting dad to replace it. We had a discussion and I learned that the money I had earned would be paying for the new lawn mower.

As the years clicked along, I was amazed at how smart my dad became. I think he really was pretty smart all along - but it took me a while to see it. Funny how it works... I wouldn't change or trade a minute of my childhood!!

Tim

Dipstick

Owen,

I believe you clearly stated the problem with the youth of today. Sad part is it isn't the kids fault that their parents (the droopy drawers crowd) didn't see fit to MAKE them do something to help out around the house. I remember getting an allowance when I was a youngster. I learned pretty quick that Friday was pay day - and even quicker - when I didn't do the jobs assigned that getting paid wasn't happening!

Somewhere along the way, I started cutting our grass. I was given a particular day to do it. Can't remember for sure - but I vividly remember NOT doing it one day. Dad came home from work. We sat down to eat. (Oh, and you aked to be excused from the table too!) When dinner was finished, dad asked "what happened with the grass today?". I think I answered with something stooopid like "I forgot". I remember being told that I should go get it done now. Almost dark... I mentioned that and dad got up, walked to the tool drawer and got me a flashlight. I never forgot it ever again!

Later, I remember earning $3 a yard for cutting other people's yards. AND another learning experience happened there too. Lawn mower finally died and so I (big dummy) was expecting dad to replace it. We had a discussion and I learned that the money I had earned would be paying for the new lawn mower.

As the years clicked along, I was amazed at how smart my dad became. I think he really was pretty smart all along - but it took me a while to see it. Funny how it works... I wouldn't change or trade a minute of my childhood!!

Tim
Don't forget over-protective helicopter Moms. Can you imagine these kids in boot camp? I used to buy airplane and car models with my allowance. It used to take me six to eight weeks to earn enough for one. Your Dad sounds great. A lot like my Dad.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome from Missouri! Great beginning with history search being sought out. And you have what looks to be a good hardtop. Look through the classifieds and see what is available. A few months ago tires were out there for the taking. Maybe some are still around close to you.

Good Luck!

John B.

I have the beginnings of rust in the same spots you do on your cab. I noticed you're missing the two spring hold down latches at the front of your hood. I've bought those before. I'll try to dig up the receipts for them if you want to know where to get them. There are two more on the top of the hood that engage hold down loops that prevent the hood from blowing closed on you when you have the hood up. That winch looks pretty awesome!
Hi Dipstick, sorry for the late response ive been working nonstop and this is my first day off in a while. I actually have two new hold downs for it already. I have to drill the holes a little larger to install the screws that came with them. Thanks for the offer though its appreciated. The cab is rough but the fenders are much, much worse. I found a place here in PA with new passenger side fenders for $250 a piece but no drivers side. Eastern surplus has drivers side ones but they are $400 plus shipping but im within driving distance if they would let me pick them up. Its a little expensive for my budget right now. To be hounest id be happy with used ones as long as they are not turning back into ore like mine are or bent up like mine are. My hood even has holes in it! The tires are my biggest concern though. They have extreme dry rot. When I do have the money for them I would like to get 11x20s instead of the 9x20s it currently has. I will have to figure out the speedo gear ratio though so my millage is still accurate. I'm not too worried about the speed as much as the millage as that's how I track my maintenance but it would be nice to know how slow im actually going. lol I would like to know why drivers side fenders are more rare than the passenger side ones though?

Dipstick

Hi Dipstick, sorry for the late response ive been working nonstop and this is my first day off in a while. I actually have two new hold downs for it already. I have to drill the holes a little larger to install the screws that came with them. Thanks for the offer though its appreciated. The cab is rough but the fenders are much, much worse. I found a place here in PA with new passenger side fenders for $250 a piece but no drivers side. Eastern surplus has drivers side ones but they are $400 plus shipping but im within driving distance if they would let me pick them up. Its a little expensive for my budget right now. To be hounest id be happy with used ones as long as they are not turning back into ore like mine are or bent up like mine are. My hood even has holes in it! The tires are my biggest concern though. They have extreme dry rot. When I do have the money for them I would like to get 11x20s instead of the 9x20s it currently has. I will have to figure out the speedo gear ratio though so my millage is still accurate. I'm not too worried about the speed as much as the millage as that's how I track my maintenance but it would be nice to know how slow im actually going. lol I would like to know why drivers side fenders are more rare than the passenger side ones though?
No problem John B. I'd like to know where in PA you can get the new passengers side fenders from. Would you please supply me with the info? I would also check with Memphis Equipment on the driver's side. Their price may be a bit better and their shipping is very reasonable. The reason I say that is, because I recently bought and installed two completely new windshields on my truck. The place in PA had a slightly better price, but their shipping charge was a killer. I ended up buying them from Memphis who's price was a bit higher but their shipping was so much lower I saved $100 even though they're a 1,000 miles away! You can see my post on the new windshields in "What did you do to your Deuce this week". As far as 11R-20s, I run them on Brutus. They are Firestone T-831s and I love them. The traction in snow is phenomenal. They are good in rain. Steer well and are surprisingly quiet given the super gnarly tread which is almost 2" deep. I got them used from the place I purchased Brutus from and they were $285 each if I remember correctly. After seven years there is no sign of dry rot yet. Never thought about correcting it for mileage and speed though. Doesn't seem important when I'm putting the "Pedal to the Metal" and approaching the SPEED OF LIGHT!!! The Deuce design committee the MPFC, decided on some really odd things. Like hood, fender, and windshield metal which is kind of light gauge, while attaching them to the cab with hinged brackets that could easily support an Iowa Class battleship anchor. My Brutus has some mods like complete spin on filter adapters and front hubs (Ouverson), so if I can be of help in the future you have only to ask.

John B.

No problem John B. I'd like to know where in PA you can get the new passengers side fenders from. Would you please supply me with the info? I would also check with Memphis Equipment on the driver's side. Their price may be a bit better and their shipping is very reasonable. The reason I say that is, because I recently bought and installed two completely new windshields on my truck. The place in PA had a slightly better price, but their shipping charge was a killer. I ended up buying them from Memphis who's price was a bit higher but their shipping was so much lower I saved $100 even though they're a 1,000 miles away! You can see my post on the new windshields in "What did you do to your Deuce this week". As far as 11R-20s, I run them on Brutus. They are Firestone T-831s and I love them. The traction in snow is phenomenal. They are good in rain. Steer well and are surprisingly quiet given the super gnarly tread which is almost 2" deep. I got them used from the place I purchased Brutus from and they were $285 each if I remember correctly. After seven years there is no sign of dry rot yet. Never thought about correcting it for mileage and speed though. Doesn't seem important when I'm putting the "Pedal to the Metal" and approaching the SPEED OF LIGHT!!! The Deuce design committee the MPFC, decided on some really odd things. Like hood, fender, and windshield metal which is kind of light gauge, while attaching them to the cab with hinged brackets that could easily support an Iowa Class battleship anchor. My Brutus has some mods like complete spin on filter adapters and front hubs (Ouverson), so if I can be of help in the future you have only to ask.
This is the place I found the passenger side fenders. http://www.kublossurplus.com/ You have to email them to know if they have what you want. I watched the videos they posted to youtube. They sell lots of M35A2 trucks! I dont think they are parts sales as much as they are truck sales. Im hoping to have the funds and time to drive up there in the next two weeks. I will let you know what its like if I get there before you do. I will have to check memphis for a drivers side. Yes those hinges are definitely robust! You need to tell me your secret to modifying your engine to make it to the speed of light! Lol

Patriot6X6

I see this thread has been quiet for a while but I figured I would add to it. It’s good to see fellow military truck owners near by. I am also new to owning my MT and new to the site. I recently purchased a 1987 Harsco BMY M923A2 and living in Saylorsburg Pa.

Dipstick

I see this thread has been quiet for a while but I figured I would add to it. It’s good to see fellow military truck owners near by. I am also new to owning my MT and new to the site. I recently purchased a 1987 Harsco BMY M923A2 and living in Saylorsburg Pa.
Hi Patriot! Dipstick here. I live not very far from you in Effort. About 15 miles or so? We should get together one of these days.

Patriot6X6

Absolutely! I don’t live far at all. I have a Saylorsburg mailing address but live more towards effort. PM me if you want to set something up. I can’t figure out how to send one.

Dipstick

Hi Patriot! I'm not sure how to PM either. Is it under the "start a conversation" envelope button by your login at the top R.H. corner of the page? Brutus is down for a while until I can get the new battery box and Batteries installed.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi Patriot! I'm not sure how to PM either. Is it under the "start a conversation" envelope button by your login at the top R.H. corner of the page? Brutus is down for a while until I can get the new battery box and Batteries installed.
Yes sir Owen. Start Conversation will get a PM started. The inbound message on your screen will be the "envelope" rather than a "bell". I sent you a quick hello just so you can see how it works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks