• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Va!

SevenT6Vet

A friend of mine just turned me on to this site since i'm looking for a 6x6 of some sort. I live in Hanover, just outside Richmond. After doing a few days of research online, I realize I need to get out and view a couple of vehicles and learn A LOT more about them before I can make a decision on what model/condition to get.

I've got a bunch of basic tools (full tool set, air compressor, 250 lb*ft torque wrench, 9k lift, and other specialty tools), but i'm nervous that I may need a whole new variety of stuff just to maintain. My dad has a lot of tractor tools, including a ratchet with a 1" drive, many wrenches/sockets in the 2-3" range, and a 6" socket that fits who knows what. So I could foresee me having to borrow some of his tools.

I think the M939 series interests me the most, particularly the M923 thru M928

Last edited:

SevenT6Vet

Welcome to steel soldiers... I think you will find a M35A2 Duece and a half a fine choice for your first military truck....
Thanks! I take it the 2.5 is much easier to work on than a 5T with common tools?

Would a $5k-$6k purchase price plus $800-$1k/yr be a reasonable expectation?

gungearz

In my opinion the A2 is cheaper, easier to maintain, and most of us run WMO... Giving us the option to run multiple fuels is great. What do mean $800/$1000 a year ....?

SevenT6Vet

In my opinion the A2 is cheaper, easier to maintain, and most of us run WMO... Giving us the option to run multiple fuels is great. What do mean $800/$1000 a year ....?
annual budget for insurance, tax, misc repairs. Trying to get an idea of what people pay per year to maintain them also (carbs, hydraulics, etc). I would probably put 200 miles per year on it.....maybe?

gungearz

Insurance should be between $200 and $400 a year, depending on who you go thru and your driving history... No hydraulics you get a dump truck and No carbs, these trucks have injectors and mechanical injector pumps... No computers... Or fuses... Maintenance is very minimal on these... In a lot of cases, we leave these trucks sit for 3 to over 10+ years, slap new batteries in them, fire them up and go ....

SevenT6Vet

Insurance should be between $200 and $400 a year, depending on who you go thru and your driving history... No hydraulics you get a dump truck and No carbs, these trucks have injectors and mechanical injector pumps... No computers... Or fuses... Maintenance is very minimal on these... In a lot of cases, we leave these trucks sit for 3 to over 10+ years, slap new batteries in them, fire them up and go ....
That is awesome to hear. I have antique insurance on 2 of my cars (approx $150/yr each with limitations on when i can drive them). I would probably do something similar with this vehicle.

RodUSMC1962

Welcome from Indiana! It sounds like you and your dad have most of the basic tools you need. As you watch this site you will learn what you need to know and where to find parts. Beings your dad is a farmer he will be your biggest asset, these guys can fix anything!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is awesome to hear. I have antique insurance on 2 of my cars (approx $150/yr each with limitations on when i can drive them). I would probably do something similar with this vehicle.
No you won't. Almost all of the antique/collector insurance requires you to garage the vehicle, plus the fact that they just don't get MV's. It is easier to insure with your current "regular" auto insurance, and just claim the min milage that the insurance company allows. This also varies wildly between states, as each state regulates the auto insurance differently.

Search the forums for "deuce insurance"

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come to the Va rally at Graves Mtn, labor day weekend. You should see all types of MV, and maybe drive them also.

SevenT6Vet

If the cab is shorter than 8', garaging shouldn't be an issue. I could rearrange and use my lift for over/under storage again. But, I will call my insurer (both of them) and ask if they can cover it.

SevenT6Vet

Come to the Va rally at Graves Mtn, labor day weekend. You should see all types of MV, and maybe drive them also.
I personally know the owners of Graves and love going there. I've heard about the drive-in/rally you guys do, but have never been. When is the next one?

SevenT6Vet

my insurance company J.C. Taylor wrote back... probably something you guys already knew they would say:

The two major concerns with these types of large military vehicles are garaging and where the passengers ride. The vehicle must be kept in a fully-enclosed, lockable garage or building when not in use, and passengers may ride in the cab area only. Passengers cannot ride in the bed, even in slow speed events like parades. The vehicle would also need to be in decent shape with no significant exterior blemishes (dents, dings, rust, etc.).

Last edited:

SierraHotel

My Deuce is insured through State Farm in Manassas, Va. No garaging requirement. Pinged me for the wife’s ticket, but not too bad. No hassles from them as long as I pay the premiums. Just needed to send them pictures. Really wish USAA would have insured it…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks