• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello new to the site , trying to read all the right posts to start with .

1Ghost

SO please don't throw the boots and empty cans at me .....yet .

Looking at a BMY M923A2 or M928A2 for use around a small farm .

Question : what oil Psi should be normal ?
looks like 60psi
I have been on the Govplanet and Ironplanet sites and some read 70 others 35 psi.

Yes I have tried to down load the service manuals ( not from here yet ) but they were to big .

Also I see they charge extra for everything / fees on top of fees .
Even a $5000.00 dollar truck ends up being about $7200.00 / with out shipping ( they said I could drive it away at my own risk and loss of the " IronClad Assurance. "
But that just covers basic visual items anyway .

Question : thoughts on these places and / or other places to get a truck ?

Thank you for your time .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
SO please don't throw the boots and empty cans at me .....yet .

Looking at a BMY M923A2 or M928A2 for use around a small farm .

Question : what oil Psi should be normal ?
looks like 60psi
I have been on the Govplanet and Ironplanet sites and some read 70 others 35 psi.

Yes I have tried to down load the service manuals ( not from here yet ) but they were to big .

Also I see they charge extra for everything / fees on top of fees .
Even a $5000.00 dollar truck ends up being about $7200.00 / with out shipping ( they said I could drive it away at my own risk and loss of the " IronClad Assurance. "
But that just covers basic visual items anyway .

Question : thoughts on these places and / or other places to get a truck ?

Thank you for your time .
Private seller. Or you can try Feltz Tire in Marshfield, WI. He has 5 tons.

Also red river auto parts in New Boston has a good supply of trucks.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil pressure for the 8.3 cummins will read high with cold oil. After warm up at idle pressure is normal at 10 to 15 psi. Most of the pictures and videos posted for the trucks are taken before trucks are warmed up so psi readings will be high and will vary a great deal from truck to truck.

As for the fees for the auction your math is a bit off.
Govplanet charges a 10% fee plus $150.00 for a title then the sales tax from where the vehicle sells. Which in most states would make a 5,000 winning bid a bit over $6,000 for final cost. Of course higher/lower taxes or a tax exemption would change that.

1Ghost

5 ton oil psi

Oil pressure for the 8.3 cummins will read high with cold oil. After warm up at idle pressure is normal at 10 to 15 psi. Most of the pictures and videos posted for the trucks are taken before trucks are warmed up so psi readings will be high and will vary a great deal from truck to truck.

As for the fees for the auction your math is a bit off.
Govplanet charges a 10% fee plus $150.00 for a title then the sales tax from where the vehicle sells. Which in most states would make a 5,000 winning bid a bit over $6,000 for final cost. Of course higher/lower taxes or a tax exemption would change that.
Really they run oil psi that low ?
Wow ( yes I know we are assuming the gauge is reading correctly ).
Ok thank you

1Ghost

Yes I may need to be .
Of course I just found a great sounding BMY M928A2 5 Ton 6x6 Cargo Truck

It looks and checks out in great condition / (on their report ).

Last edited:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per the rules, you aren't supposed to post about specific upcoming auctions so you may want to edit your post or it may be deleted.

I have bought many items out of Whitehall and the trucks there are usually pretty good ones.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My market assessment -

The market is currently WAY HIGH. Auction trucks are going for more than I could reasonably expect to get for them retail.

Usually you'd pay a premium for a private sale. That premium covers such things as not having to wait for an EUC and getting to look the truck over before purchase.

However, in today's world you're likely to get a private sale truck for less than an equivalent truck would bring at auction. I see one in the classifieds priced well under my evaluation of market value....

I have no M939A2 to sell you.

74M35A2

You won’t have any oil pressure issues with an 8.3. The electrical oil pressure senders, and gauges, have terrible resolution and accuracy. They are really only to tell of it is up above zero.

Only real 8.3 issues I have seen is blow-by. The trucks sit for a long time, the rings sieze the cylinders, then it is started, and the rings break.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
And a 928a2 can go higher than buying 3 923A2s.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

Now is just past peak time of buying an M939 series truck but still miles ahead of purchasing a comparably priced M35A2 if you actually plan to work your truck. They both trade in the 5 to 9k price range depending on condition but the Deuces prices are inflated by non-availability. The M939 trucks are rarely released now at auction as they are nearly all gone from government control. I've owned both and like having two cats or dogs, you'll love either one for different reasons. My Deuce was a fun truck and very reliable. If my longest trip from home was around 50 miles or so, I would have kept it forever. Alas, my annual get together is the GA Truck get together which is about 190 miles each way. The M923A1 does better on that trip when it comes to driver comfort so 5 ton it is for me. I do miss the sound of a C Turbo on a Deuce but luckily there are some youtube videos out there. Not quite the same thing but good enough to get me by. Just like the above reference about having 2 different cats or dogs, some people absolutely hate the sound of a C turbo. Find some friends who have some of this stuff, make an informed decision and get what YOU like.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are using it on a farm, I assume you have farm exempt status, this should save you some of the taxes paid to the auction site. You will still have to pay tax when you register it, but, there is some savings on the auction side.

twisted60

Welcome, I have a M923A2 and love it, the -10 (Owners manual) says 10 psi at idle when warm, mine sits at 10 psi when she's hot and driving she sits just under 60psi, probable 58ish.

As I mentioned I love my M923A2, my opinion you can't go wrong with one, just do your normal maintenance and she's give you good service.