• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helmet top installation

nickd

A few months ago I ventured to Norfolk to pick up one of the Ametek fiberglass helmet tops. I built a plywood deck on the top of the 1102 trailer and pulled it with my f150. The trip went well. The Navy happened to be moving a carrier out to sea while I was on the bay bridge and tunnnel heading home. Here are some pictures of the solo install. The top was originally fitted for a 2 door set up. Once in place I removed the blank panels and installed the rear doors. The top has noce wp storage bins to carry maintenance supplies, the collapsible tow bar and some tools. With the addition of the locking door handles I can secure the vehicle as well. The top is an improvement over the drafty flapping soft top. Removing the doors in the summer makes for a cooler ride as well.

Attachments

jatonka

Your bumper and Helmet top upgrades make your vehicle look like a million. Bring it to Ephratah so I can show my redneck friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JT

nickd

Vitamink and anyone else inerested, the top cost $650.00 not including the 8 hour round trip to pick it up in Norfolk Va. Half of the fun was the adventure to pick it up and then figuring out how to put it on the M998 by myself once I got it home. If I remember correctly the cost to uncle was over 6k.

Pablo66

Wow, another reason to be jealous... That looks great, and would be perfect for our rainy winters here in Oregon.
The hmmwv has been parked in our shop since fall waiting for a little bodywork and a fresh coat of paint... I'll get around to it some time before spring!

DawGoneIt

Wow! That does look good. we just put a helmet top on our M998, a four door setup. Doors dont fit so hot though. We have a second top we are mulling over what to do with.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that's how most of our HMMWVs looked before I departed to Iraq. sadly, when we got replacements when we got home, most of the PLTs opted not to keep the tops... I think they're idiots. I thought they were awesome. Add a bit of insulation to lessen the noise during thunderstorms and you'd be golden. (it'd help with the cold too) Make sure you get a good seal above the windshield.