• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helmets When Driving

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,......

I kinda liked that movie,...

Aussie.

Who doesn't?

I have got to get me one of the Navy flight deck outfits. I wore a green one for two deployments and yes, they do work. Walk into the trailing edge of an aircraft wing without one once will learn you.

What's up with rectum fetish from CARNAC lately? Is it colonoscopy time or what?

B3.3T

A good bump helmet like the Protec Ace is light, well ventilated, inexpensive and offers really good protection. Used by SOCOM troops and off-roaders.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
How did you guess?

Actually it is because I honestly have been telling too many idiots to get their head out of their rectum lately. That is honestly the true situation. I'm adding new and inventive ways to tell people this without using the a double dollar sign word, because that hurts people's feelings. Butt yes, doing the previously mentioned and having to listen to so many people in the news that stuck their heads up their 5th point of contact has got me steamed more that a hot steaming pile on a cold morning.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see a time and place for helmets in vehicles. I drive boats for a living, and required to wear a ballistic helmet. Now currently wear the ach, and 8 hours of that in the dynamic maritime environment coupled with comms headsets, we see a lot of neck injuries. But in our boats you need a helmet, it more plesent to put your head through the side windows with a helmet on, than with it off.

If if your going to be wheeling your Lmtv where you will be bounced around a lot, or your comms are helmet mounted or a mounting option for a go pro, then a helmet makes sense. If your in a roll over in the Lmtv the helmet may keep your head in one piece, but the rest of you is f-ed. I've worn a protec helmet wheeling the jeep more than once.

I could have used my motorcycle armor working on my truck last night, seemed to scrape my spine on sharp objects a few times getting to the alternator.

Rock on with your helmet on, it's your head, so the only opinion that matters is yours. And arc mounted headsets are game changers.

m109a2

Well fellows it does get hot and humid down here on the gulf coast so you wear all the helmets you want.I was involved in a major accident,A one ton chevy passed me with 3 illegal aliens doing about 80 mph pulled in front of me by ten feet and slammed on the brakes.I had just shifted my M35a2 with a M35 frame a 109 box and 105.Into 5th There is no doubt that this was a set up.I guess these mutts knew that a 45 year old 13 ton rig with drum brakes could not stop quickly and my rig lettered with 82 airborne this made it clear.One word pooed(paycheck) into there little brain My insurance payed 3 times what that piece of crap was worth.And the owner was a mutt as well.A long story short is this wreck.It was so slow and non violent it was a surreal experience no helmet required .Al

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well fellows it does get hot and humid down here on the gulf coast so you wear all the helmets you want.I was involved in a major accident,A one ton chevy passed me with 3 illegal aliens doing about 80 mph pulled in front of me by ten feet and slammed on the brakes.I had just shifted my M35a2 with a M35 frame a 109 box and 105.Into 5th There is no doubt that this was a set up.I guess these mutts knew that a 45 year old 13 ton rig with drum brakes could not stop quickly and my rig lettered with 82 airborne this made it clear.One word pooed(paycheck) into there little brain My insurance payed 3 times what that piece of crap was worth.And the owner was a mutt as well.A long story short is this wreck.It was so slow and non violent it was a surreal experience no helmet required .Al
You had a lazy adjuster. That's called a modified "swoop and squat." In a regular swoop and squat there's a 2nd vehicle in front of you then a 3rd vehicle swerves in front of them and locks up the brakes then flees the scene. You get blamed for following too close and the person in front of you is "guilt free." If I had someone describe what you did then they'd have to be lawyered up and I'd still drag it out for years in litigation. If they all had the same lawyer, doctor, and chiro I'd have it tied up indefinitely. Unless there was some reason for them to slam on the brakes - other car, kid in the road, etc - they're at fault and I'd make them go through their insurance. This is speaking as a former insurance adjuster, trainer, and manager.

aleigh

I can see a time and place for helmets in vehicles. I drive boats for a living, and required to wear a ballistic helmet. Now currently wear the ach, and 8 hours of that in the dynamic maritime environment coupled with comms headsets, we see a lot of neck injuries. But in our boats you need a helmet, it more plesent to put your head through the side windows with a helmet on, than with it off.

If if your going to be wheeling your Lmtv where you will be bounced around a lot, or your comms are helmet mounted or a mounting option for a go pro, then a helmet makes sense. If your in a roll over in the Lmtv the helmet may keep your head in one piece, but the rest of you is f-ed. I've worn a protec helmet wheeling the jeep more than once.

I could have used my motorcycle armor working on my truck last night, seemed to scrape my spine on sharp objects a few times getting to the alternator.

Rock on with your helmet on, it's your head, so the only opinion that matters is yours. And arc mounted headsets are game changers.
Thanks for your quality input. I'm not too worried what other people think, I'm going to wear at least a bump helmet and that's just that, but, I am both surprised and entertained by the... latitude of opinions in the discussion.

I run comms basically anytime I am in the truck and that is a part of it. Comtac 3s. If I'm not on the radio, I'm talking to a passenger on a vic-3. If I'm not doing that, them I am just wearing them for the hearing protection. I'm running the oc fast mt now which is a lot lighter than the ordinary ach. My head rolls around like a bobblehead with an ach and that is with no gear on it... Don't know how those guys do it with all the crap on them. The gaping confused looks of amazement I get from muggles when I drive by doesn't seem to be any better/worse if I am wearing the fast.

I'm running the peltor band (like an ordinary headset) inside the helmet right now, which they kind of anticipated in the helmet, but, it sucks compared to the ACH mounting for those who don't know this already. I've got the ACH adapters for the peltor on order so I am looking forward to that. It makes the helmet fiddly to take on and off when you keep the band on it. And you have to fiddle with the headliner in the helmet to remove the headset.

I will say that versus the regular bump pads in the ach, the fast has got two layers - the outer layer looks like a replaceable one-time crush foam similar to what you see in a bike helmet and then the inner layer is a more conventional padding. So I think the bump protection is greatly increased over say just the regular ach. If I hadn't had one of these for other reasons, a pro-tec or a whitewater helmet seems like the way to go. No reason for ballistic obviously.

I doubt a helmet is going to help in a roll-over, I mean I'd take whatever I could get in something that catastrophic. I worry more about spinning or sliding the truck and having it flop over on its side, perhaps if I go into a ditch. This all started because if I go over on the driver side, I probably/will whack my head pretty good on the corner of the vic-3 ffcs. Anyone in the middle seat has all kinds of choices of pain. And I do get bounced around from time to time wheeling it. I cracked my head once already, and I was out last weekend and my pax whacked his head on the frame of the cab. It made a pretty decent clunk.

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 11.24.41 AM.jpg

m109a2

Thank you Mkcoen I have never heard of this.This is a crying shame.The bad part of this is when I busted trough the tailgate I took a right and took out the quarter panel to keep from killing these mutts and put me in a ditch.It cost my 1,800 just to get out and 150.00 a day storage.And that is not all The female cop actually ask me why I had such a large truck and a Judge on my hip what is happening to my country.Al

quickfarms

The bump cap inserts that fit into your favorite baseball cap will at least prevent you from having to get stitches when you bump your head on those metal projections

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468792726.301701.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468792737.837940.jpg

just me

The state I live in it is not necessary to wear a helmet on a motorcycle. (I never ride without one. Too many years racing, seen and done a few things.) Wearing a helmet in a car or truck is illegal. They claim you won't hear or see emergency vehicles if you are wearing a helmet in a car or truck. Comms headsets are also not allowed.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The state I live in it is not necessary to wear a helmet on a motorcycle. (I never ride without one. Too many years racing, seen and done a few things.) Wearing a helmet in a car or truck is illegal. They claim you won't hear or see emergency vehicles if you are wearing a helmet in a car or truck. Comms headsets are also not allowed.
But it's okay if you're playing music so loud that the spot welds on your fenders are cracking....:doh:

aleigh

As usual these laws are state by state. Here in Washington state it is illegal (RCW 46.37.480) to wear a headset that covers both ears. I don't believe wearing a helmet while driving is illegal in my state, or anyways, I have never come across that law.

That said I've been wearing comms headsets for years driving, passed many cops, never had a problem. Like many laws it's just not enforced, at least not unless there is some other problem going on. It's also a law here that you need mud flaps down to the axle level and wheel arches that cover the tire and I can tell you there are many trucks on the road violating that. I've even had cops point it out to me, but never a ticket.

They are welcome to ticket me over hearing protection - my hearing protection and safety trumps their concerns (they let deaf people drive don't they) and I'd be happy to argue that. I'd argue the talk-through mitigates their concern about hearing emergency vehicles anyways.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As usual these laws are state by state. Here in Washington state it is illegal (RCW 46.37.480) to wear a headset that covers both ears. I don't believe wearing a helmet while driving is illegal in my state, or anyways, I have never come across that law.

That said I've been wearing comms headsets for years driving, passed many cops, never had a problem. Like many laws it's just not enforced, at least not unless there is some other problem going on. It's also a law here that you need mud flaps down to the axle level and wheel arches that cover the tire and I can tell you there are many trucks on the road violating that. I've even had cops point it out to me, but never a ticket.

They are welcome to ticket me over hearing protection - my hearing protection and safety trumps their concerns (they let deaf people drive don't they) and I'd be happy to argue that. I'd argue the talk-through mitigates their concern about hearing emergency vehicles anyways.
As a firefighter, I assume most people don't hear me, thus all the reflective stripes and flashy lights. I assume there aren't any blind people driving, but I might be wrong on that...

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That RCW leaves the com headsets as fine, as long as they're not hooked to a radio.

And they enforce the mudflap law on jeeps more than trucks. People at work complain about the ticket all the time just after lifting their jeep.

just me

As a firefighter, I assume most people don't hear me, thus all the reflective stripes and flashy lights. I assume there aren't any blind people driving, but I might be wrong on that...
I was always 'concerned' that AMC had Braille on the controls on the drivers side of the Concord. And the Braille menus at a drive thru ATM or McDonalds....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks