• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helo Fast Pass

Third From Texas

So I took the dog to the beach today for a swim (it's been hot as hell, damned climate change ie: summer). I was down a few miles from the crowds with nobody around for a quarter mile either direction.

The dog is mostly oblivious to birds 90% of the time but oddly she will track aircraft (and we have a lot of traffic from NAS Corpus, coasties, Blackhawks, and fixed wing trainers).

Today she perked up at something coming from the south. I have to watch for other dogs because she'll kill anything not on a leash that gets close. No dog, but I see a dot on the horizon and at first I thought is was a kiteboarder.

A split second later I realize it's a helo burning full tilt at about 50 feet off the deck doing maybe 150mph. I mean this guy was screaming at wavetop level !!!

As he comes into view I recognize it's a H125 and I figure maybe a Texas DPS bird. As it nears I see it's in two-tone desert camo (never seen that before). It's about 200 yards from shore when it passes and the dog is barking and jumping up and down and I'm screaming "OH **** YEAH" and giving a big thumbs-up to the crew.

He passes and then does a HARD right climbing 180 out over the Gulf, then whips back around South then another 180 and passes right over my truck!

Dood, I was sporting WOOD you could have hung a flag from. It was so cool.

No NA numbers that I could make out on either pass and nothing on the undercarriage. Just sand and tan blotch camo.

Of course by the time I grab my phone he's half-way to Port-Aransas so no pics. I launch my flight radar app (it's pretty good about military, civilian, and commercial tracks).

Nothing.

So cool but I wish I knew who it was...

I thought perhaps a hog-hunter bird from a ranch or something. But could have been anything . I sure couldn't seen any markings, though (and I was looking).

20220513_145121.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks