• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP!!! Advice needed with GL

TexAndy

FYI for those of you using debit cards some banks have daily limits on the max allowed to be charged. You have to call your bank to have them adjust the limit and have GL re-run the charge.......I was lucky and caught the error on the same day and had GL run the card again.

I sure found this out the hard way when I bought a couple of lots of brass on GL...

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the Amex card and since it requires to be paid in full each month, there is no limit, only GLs limit. I've bid on a lot of GL auctions and have never had a problem.

The Janiter

For my 2cents - I call my CC comp. first and tell them I am going to bid and aprox. how much.

I have them make a note on my acct. - then call GL and make sure that they have the right cc info.

This works for me since I buy at other auctions from time to time and find that a few calls in advance stops any problems ahead of time.

nhdiesel

I don't use credit cards any more, just debit cards. Credit cards can get people into trouble really fast. Not an evil CC company's fault, you agree to their terms & conditions in advance, and they are there to make money, period.

I have had close calls with my debit card while buying through GL. My first Deuce was a very close call. I have 2 debit cards, one through my credit union, and one through Paypal business account. I use the paypal for any large purchases, because the credit union has a stupid-low daily limit, and refuses to alter that even for 1-time purchases. So I have to transfer funds to Paypal, unless i still have funds from ebay sales. But their daily limit is something like $3k+ for cash advances, and I think $4500 for purchases. They will also adjust as needed.

When I bought my first Deuce I had like $1500 in Paypal. Unfortunately I got excited and spent a bit too much for the truck, and immediately had to transfer funds to Paypal. I got the CC Declined notice from GL, but at that time you had 5 days to pay in full. The money was transferred in time (3-4 business days usually) so I was able to pay them before the time was up.

Unfortunately I'll have to watch future purchases, now that they changed payment time to 3 days.

Yes, GL has some very restrictive rules, and the cards are stacked against us. But we agree to those rules when we sign up, and as much as I hate GL at times, they can pretty much do what they want, and we have already agreed to it. Unfortunately there is no real competition for them (noplace where we can buy the same items for similar prices anyway) so we keep coming back. We can buy from other auction sites and pay more, or from resellers, and pay more. If you have the money that may be the way to go. Unfortunately I don't have the money to do that, so I need to take my chances with GL when I buy.

Jim