• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help/Advice on MEP-003

TroyHog

I have a MEP-003 that I changed the tap from single phase 120/240 over to the three phase 120/208 - It turned fairly hard and it seemed like it went past the position before it switched. I ran the genset and got the proper voltage readings off of L1,L2,L3,L0 but the tap changer liked locked down and will not return to the previous settings. The knob will detent a little more to the left but will not switch to the right at all now. I was just wondering if this was a concern or if I was missing some kind of "release"? I hate to apply any more pressure than I have for fear of breaking something.genIMG_4028.JPGgen2IMG_4027.JPG

cuad4u

After PB Blaster I used a brass rod (3/4" X 12") and a small hammer to rap the metal nose of the switch and patience and doing it again and again. After doing this for 4-5 stuck switches, each switch got un-stuck.

Last edited:

jamawieb

Like everyone else said, don't take it apart. I take the side panel off so you can see the switch and soak it in WD40, then slightly tap on both ends of the switch, while trying to turn it. Patience is the key, sometimes takes about 30 minutes to break lose. After it moves, rotate it between all positions several, several times.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you ever take this switch apart, you better be retired when you do it. You will need the extra time! TLC, gets it most of the time!!

TroyHog

Like everyone else said, don't take it apart. I take the side panel off so you can see the switch and soak it in WD40, then slightly tap on both ends of the switch, while trying to turn it. Patience is the key, sometimes takes about 30 minutes to break lose. After it moves, rotate it between all positions several, several times.
Thanks Guys. So do I need to take the switch loose from the housing (four bolts if I remember), or can I leave it mounted. I guess what I'm getting at is - Where do I need to apply the lubrication? - I know - I know - That's what she said. Ha.

dependable

Thanks Guys. So do I need to take the switch loose from the housing (four bolts if I remember), or can I leave it mounted.
When I freed my switch, I loosened but did not remove the switch, to gain access to the four nuts at front plate of switch. I loosened the nuts slightly but did not remove. I was then able to rotate the switch with vise grips. I had already broken off the knob trying to rotate switch. I also sprayed down the switch with CRC power lube, like WD 40.

While you are in there, check the screws that attach the wires to switch, they can be loose on higher hour machines.

TroyHog

MEP 003 - Tap Changer Stuck

You helpful souls advised me to spray my tap changing switch down with penetrating oil and be patient and work the knob back and forth and to not attempt to disassemble this switch -

I am trying to follow - but the switch is sealed up like a starter with a solid housing and I can not figure out how to get the penetrating oil into the contacts.

Can anyone help me out further?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Guyfang

Staff member
By Tap Changing Switch, do you mean the S6, Voltage Changing Switch? Haven't heard that phrase used in about 35 years, if not longer. That's still what I call it in my head.

OK, if we are on the same sheet of paper, you need to LOOSEN. Not REMOVE, the long screws that hold the switch wafers together. Just loose enough to get some Contact spray into the switch. You absolutely, positively, 100% sure don't want to take this switch apart, or let a few "extra" parts fall out. I don't know how old you are, but you probably are not young enough to put this switch back together in a normal life time. I have tried a few times. I like to think I have lots of patience. I tossed the parts away. Someone in the forum said he took one apart and put it back together and it worked. He should get a medal. I have had some luck using a small rubber hammer. I TAPPED the switch a little. If you wail on it, you might as well buy another someplace.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please continue your original thread, rather than start a second one on a subject. (you've done it twice)

I've merged your second threads with the originals.

TroyHog

Please send detailed instructions for me - I would gladly do whatever I need to. Is it more efficient to continue a thread versus start another? I referenced the information that I obtained earlier in this new one so people would not start from scratch so to speak. I am not well versed in the "ins and outs" of the software. Too old; but let me know what I need to do (I'm sure you've done it more than twice).

TroyHog

Doghead: Please send detailed instructions for me - I would gladly do whatever I need to. Is it more efficient to continue a thread versus start another? I referenced the information that I obtained earlier in this new one so people would not start from scratch so to speak. I am not well versed in the "ins and outs" of the software. Too old; but let me know what I need to do (I'm sure you've done it more than twice).

Guyfang

Staff member
Troy,

Go to the top of the page. Look for the Forum button. It should be highlighted any way. Click on it. When the new page comes up, scroll down to Auxiliary Equipment. Click on on it. When the new page comes up, look at the top of the page for the Start New Thread button. Click on it. Give your thread and intelligent name. Its good PR. You need to hook the generator guys into opening the thread, so they can help. Simply writing "It dont work" is not good. A good one might be, "MEP-003A- Voltage Selector Switch non-op", or MEP-003A- S8 switch non-op". Then give us some details to work with. This aint hard. Old Man indeed! How old?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks