• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help assembling gas struts for slant back hatch

RDUKW

Does anyone know how the struts for the slant back hatch are supposed to be assembled and adjusted? The kit comes with two tubes, 2 rubber plugs, 2 pinch clamps and 2 different length gas struts.

Thanks
Ryan

darkturbo

Can someone shed some light on this issue please? I would like to know too. page number of which manual would also be great... thanks

TedG

See diagram in TM 9-2320-280-24-P1 figure 235.

Each side consists of a long strut #33, a short strut #38, an outer tube #31 and an inner tube #37. The other parts are clamps and rubber seals. The outer tube should be on the upper strut, which is the shorter one mounted to the rear hatch, and the inner tube should be on the lower strut (longer one) mounted to the tub inner fender bracket. Once you assemble the struts together, you will have to open the hatch as far as possible. BE VERY CAREFUL!!! Hatch is very heavy and it can crush you when in the air unsecured! Be safe!

Attachments

Last edited:

jwaller

Are the struts extended or do they have the clamp on them?
i just had to r&r mine this week and it takes a ratchet strap and a careful hand to get them compressed and back into place.

TedG

They are extended when resting. The installation is to hatch is to open up the hatch manually and over extend it so that the struts can be placed in their rested state. Trying to compress them sounds too dangerous for me!

darkturbo

Thanks TedG

does anyone have 4 BALL STUD, GAS SPRING #38 in diagram (nsn5307011406594) for sale or know where I can get it?

rmgill

Could someone who's reading this and has a currently assembled slant back with these gas struts please check the following measurement for me?

What is the distance from the rear vertical metal bracing plate to the brackets that anchor/support the lower ball pivot of the gas strut?

I have a slat back that apparently never had these brackets installed sitting in my driveway for this installation. I don't want to cut first then find out I've measured incorrectly and I have no easy way to test anchor these with clamps to be certain their position is correct.

Thanks!

TedG

Use grade 8 1/2-20 bolts with stover nuts and washers. The fender side wall requires a reinforcement plate held in by the 2 to lower bolts. Your angled aluminum piece is good though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks