• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP, Batteries dying on startup!!

custm86

I'm having one **** of a time starting my m1009 in the cold. If its plugged in, it'll start after cycling the plugs twice. If I don't plug it in, The batteries will last for about four to five cranks and then just die.
I've searched the forums and can find nothing that helps me yet. I've installed a GP manual switch, new glow plugs, and two new batteries. 850 cca. When warm it fires up just fine, I'm new to the diesel scene but absolutely love this truck. I just want it to start when i need it!!!!

Thanks for any help!

Westech

CPL
Have you taken it to have the started tested? see how many AMPS it is drawing? If its over 175 time to have it replaced. Also with a Manual GP switch the glow plugs will never function like a good working control card. Your guessing on how long to hold down the switch is a shot in the dark really.

dstang97

Have you taken it to have the started tested? see how many AMPS it is drawing? If its over 175 time to have it replaced. Also with a Manual GP switch the glow plugs will never function like a good working control card. Your guessing on how long to hold down the switch is a shot in the dark really.
Its amazing how different my 08 starts with the card vs push button its night and day. (card is better)

Westech

CPL
you need to take it to a shop that has the induction style tester (the probe clips around the main power wire to the starter) Just hit up the local auto shops and ask if they can test how many amps the starter draws.

devilman96

Agreed, prolly the starter..

Get a gear reduced starter (M998 starter for a 6.5) and toss the old direct drive unit... They spin MUCH faster and pull less amps.

91W350

Have you tested the batteries? A weak battery can cause the grief you are describing. I know you said they are new, but if you ever watched how they are built, you too would have doubts. Glen

Barrman

You are actually looking for a 24 volt Delco 28MT gear reduction starter. There are probably 30 on ebay today. I haven't looked though to be sure. You will need the GM starter bolts from the dealer and the proper mount bracket for that starter as well. Numerous threads have been posted about it.

custm86

None of the ones on ebay say gear reduction. Are all the 28mt pretty much exactly the same? And do you have the part numbers for the brackets and bolts?

Blood_of_Tyrants

Sounds like you have at least one battery that is almost dead. Start by putting a low amperage charger on each battery yo make sure they are being fully charged and then see if you still have the same problem. If so, take the battery to be tested.

Alternators that charge at a 40-80 ampere rate won't fully charge a discharged battery unless you drive it for at least a couple of hours and then the charge won't be very deep. The low amperage trickle charger will give the best and fullest charge.

custm86

Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered the gear reduction starter, two new redtop batteries, two gauge wiring to replace everything adn a few other things to replace.
Now one more question, I know i need the starter bracket part #23502557 to avoid cracking the block, but i've also read that the bolts for the gear reduction starter are a different length with no regardsto the part number to order. The only bolt part number i seeis # 15544950 with washer # 22521054.
Are the bolts for the DirectDrive and Gear Reduction the same? If not does someone have the part numbers for the bolts to mount the gear reduction starter????

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
stater bolts are the same for the direct drive and gear reduction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks