• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP! Cannot Start!

dm22630

I had my cousin swap the batteries out in one of my deuces on Friday because the ones that were in it were too weak to turn the engine over.

He was so worried about getting shocked, I thought he was going to cry like a little girl. It just reinforced the fact in my mind that he needed to learn. SO.....I show him what to do, & tell him to come get me when he is done. 5 minutes later he comes up & says "that thing sparked....I cant do it.....blah blah blah". Well, the little genius had disconnected the negative (on the pigtail between the two batts) & was attempting to disconnect the positive & brought the wrench up & touched the truck. Well that completes a circuit & it sparked! What a surprise! It melted a little spot on my wrench.

Anyway, he got both old ones out, put two charged ones in, & I checked what he had done & then went to start it. I flip the accessory power & nothing....no noise, no gauges, no power.....at all.

Did a fuse/relay burn out or reset/trip when he made the spark when he was disconnecting the batts?

Also....WHAT kind of generator is on this truck? I have never seen one like it.

Thanks!

Daniel

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dunno about the spark but that is the older style 25A generator with the regulator on the firewall.

stampy

Make sure you have 24v under load. I have a jeep that I can open the doors (remote) on but once I go to start it ...nothing. I traced it back to one bad cable end. I would put the meter on it and then try to start it.

dm22630

Before the swap, the accessory switch turned on would activate the gauges & buzzer.

After the swap, NO power whatsoever.

Both "new" batts just came off my charger.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Kenny is correct on the 25 amp gemerator and separate regulator. The newer 60 amp alternators are internally regulated.

Follow the path of power from the batteries to the master power switch. Somewhere something failed. There is only one circuit breaker on the truck and it's on the firewall and I think it's for the horn and there is only one fuse and it's for the fuel pump.

tm america

that could be a 100 amp gen it uses a separate voltage reg too. chech your connections there are no fuses or breakers between the batteries and the ignition switch or gauages test voltage across the batteries then check for voltage at the starter relay

jrou111

There are 2 thick positive battery cables, make sure they're both connected.

Get a multimeter, check the voltage of each battery, check the voltage in series (#1 batt + and #2 batt -) Check the cable to see what kind of voltage you're getting to find where the interruption is.

Even though it's 24v the electrical system on the deuce is very simple and you should be able to troubleshoot it easily with the right tool (multimeter)

BEASTMASTER

THER ARE TWO CIRCUIT BREAKERS on the firewall near the flasher. i think one of them feed the switch. try them with a volt meter, could have cooked one. when i was hooking up my plow pump my wrench came in contact with the floor thru my wedding ring. honey, whats that notch in you're ring ?