• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! Can't start New Deuce!

Flatlander

Guys,

Won a deuce on a local city auction...

Went to start it, put in new batteries.

Looks like a new starter, solonoid clicks, but doesn't spin.

Batteries are hooked up correctly, low air buzzer works (scared the heck out of me)
Fuel pump works

What do you think....bad connection? Do I need to remove the starter?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Help! Can

When I got my 5ton I had the same thing happen. The way I got it working was to pull the starter, take it apart, clean the contacts and put it back together. So far so good. I hope there is something easier for you, but from my experiance, I doubt it.

Flatlander

Some more pictures....

Attachments

Flatlander

When I went to pick up the paper work for the Deuce, they gave me the work orders for all the maintenance and upkeep for the past 10 years!

Also, and most importantly, they gave me a TITLE! [thumbzup]

gimpyrobb

Nice drop side! I have an extra battery hold down if you want it. I doesnt have the J bolts though. Did you check voltage of the batterys before hand, or just push the button? Maybe they just need a charge?

ida34

Replace those battery terminals with Military ones. I don't know if that is your problem but the marine terminal style don't make as good a contact as the GI ones. Replace the dog bone. The clamp type terminals are not ideal and the cable looks small compared to the actual GI cable. Nice truck with the hard top and drop side.

gimpyrobb

Also, with all the dirt in the engine bay, I would check out the air filter before firing her up. Missed the short battery cable, good call Chuck.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No reason to pull the starter yet. Follow Chuck's advise above and replace the battery terminals or at least clean them thouroughly first and tighten them good. A poor connection with a high resistance can generate a lot of heat and melt the termial when you try to run the starter.

You will learn the meaning of "mil spec" when you realise that even battery terminals are designed for optimum fit and minimum corrosion, those wing-nuts gotto go, even the cables are multi stranded tin plated with crimped terminals for longest possible life and to minimize corrosion.

...and do remember to disconnect the negative connection first and re-connect it last to keep from shorting tools to case ground.

Attachments

gbooth

Be sure to check that voltage is passing through the solenoid. Just because it clicks dose not mean that it is working properly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your problem could be the starter switch solenoid and not the starter solenoid. The starter switch solenoid is above the starter, mounted to the engine. I have one that does just what you describe, if I repeatedly push the starter button it will go after a few pushes. I have a new one but it's to cold out to replace it. Have someone with a test light or DVM check for voltage at the output of this solenoid and then check the starter solenoid for power in and out to the starter motor before you remove the starter. Here's a link to a picture of the starter switch solenoid available at Saturn Surplus. http://saturnsurplus.com/m35/8779.jpg

I also agree that your small battery cable and automotive and marine terminals are not suitable for a deuce. You may be able to get it started and home as it is, but with undersized or loose terminals you could experience a catastrophic failure at a terminal that could destroy a battery or worse cause a battery to explode. (not trying to scare or be dramatic, just facts)

Flatlander

Nice drop side! I have an extra battery hold down if you want it. I doesnt have the J bolts though. Did you check voltage of the batterys before hand, or just push the button? Maybe they just need a charge?
Gimpyrobb, thanks for the offer! The holddown is in the bed of the truck, and the jbolts are folded down in the battery box.

Replace those battery terminals with Military ones. I don't know if that is your problem but the marine terminal style don't make as good a contact as the GI ones. Replace the dog bone. The clamp type terminals are not ideal and the cable looks small compared to the actual GI cable. Nice truck with the hard top and drop side.
Ida34, I definitely plan to replace all the terminals with the correct ones. However, I need to move this truck ASAP per the city!

Bottleworks, I talked to the service manager, and he assured me it wasn't locked, that it ran when they parked it a "few" months ago...

Cranetruck, thanks for the great pics! Know I will know what to order!

Gbooth, I will check the voltage today.

Doghead, I bypassed the starter switch solenoid, and got the same results...Looks like it might need replacement anyway, so thanks for the link!

Thank y'all for your suggestions and advice! I'll let you know the results after a day of fiddling with it...Worst case scenario, I live in the city, so I'll have it towed to my house. I just really wanted to start it and drive it home! :driver:

Dadgum am I excited!

ida34

If it did run and you just need to get it moved pull starting might work out. They will push start and run with no power at all so you should be a good candidate for a pull start. Just be very careful.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Start by just removing the solenoid, disassembling it and checking for corroded or worn parts. Sometimes you can turn the big bolt from the starter around and use an unworn part of the head.

FreightTrain

Banned
I use the same terminals on my trucks.No problems yet.Used 4 Marine grade clamps and the thick pig tail.No melting yet and it will spin the engine over like with the originals.

kipman

I do not use clamp on terminals, I went to used semi truck batteries that have stainless studs. Remove clamps and bolt cables to the studs. Much better than 6tl and 25.00 each, no problems at all with cold starts.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it ran just a few months ago, I wouldn't think the starter just decided not to work. I'd still look at the connections and the batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks