• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help cucv 6 lug rear axle

sante

guys
I have a 1985 cucv pick up 6 lug, the rear axle went bad, according to my mechanic the entire internal are wiped out. I called numerous junk yards , I even bought a complete rear axle off a chevy 1/2 ton truck, the internals are different from mine and will not bolt up to my truck.
the mechanic stated my old axle gearing is 308, the cover has 12 bolts, we can't find an axle anywhere and he states my axle is custom made, (find that hard to believe?) we called napa they said they can't get the parts (carrier). I spoke to a military mechanic, used my 34p and can't find a parts number for a complete set of internals? Is my truck this rare? I have never seen a six lug truck my other truck is 1986 8 lug, which needs a rear section of frame from cab back. Any and all help would be appreciated. U can even call me on my cell 518-376-2343, BTW I hope I posted this correctly.

cucvrus

If you have a CUCV truck with a 1/2 ton rear you have been duped. The trucks has 14 bolt FF rears. The Blazers M1009's have 10 bolt cooperate rears. 3:08 is the correct gears. If you want to drive down to exit 90 in Pennsylvania I will sell you a good rear axle complete from an M1009.

sante

what do u mean duped? I was told by military mechanic that my truck is early and they were 6 lug . The front is also 6 lug, will a m1009 rear end fit?

sante

I wish it was that easy, but it aint . My truck has 12 bolt rear end, 10 bolt front end. My mechanic measured his m1009 and it will not fit my truck, He states my truck has 1008 heavy springs and shocks and the shocks and springs r mounted reverse of a civilian axle and the mounting points don't line up. I gonna go take pics of it tomorrow.
Thanks Sante

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post your vin # minus the last few digits please.

sante

1GCHD31J1GF30, BTW the DMV title says it and 1986 but the old title says it a 1985, this truck has been wierd since i bought it
sante

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it was an M1028 , does it have or did it have(look for the spring stops on the sides of the frame rails) rear helper springs?

If so, probably someone removed the front and rear axles for the rear locking diff and the front limited slip diff.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post a pic of your transfer case lever also?

86m1028

Sounds like that g80 (govbomb) grenaded & tore everything else up with it.
Bet an early 70's 12 bolt axle was swapped in.
The spring pads have different widths and the 1/2 ton axle will have the pads welded farther apart than the original.
Like you mentioned shock mounts are opposite also.
Ujoint size is different, could have a crossover joint in it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks