• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help finding a governor for MEP 701A

czechers1999

Can someone please point me in the correct direction. I am looking for a governor for one of my gensets. Its the 701a model. I believe i have narrowed the problem down to a bad governor. Any help would be appreciated but the unit seems to not want to hold 60 hertz. It always wants to over run the setting. i have checked several things such as the linkage and the throttle cable but i am at a loss here. Thanks, Lewis

derf

Do you have TM 5-6115-615-34 ?

I think the governor is pretty straight forward. I'd be more likely to suspect a fuel pump or injector issue.

You can try the usual suspects, Saturn Surplus, Delks, etc. but I don't think I've ever seen a governor assembly for a 016B for sale anywhere.

If your 701 happens to be Yanmar powered then maybe the fuel injector pin is not in the corresponding slot. Does your 701A engine have a pull rope for starting? If so, Yanmar. If not, Onan.

czechers1999

Derf, thank you for the info! Both mine are Onan powered with around 800 hours on them. One runs like a champ but the other is a different story. Once fired up it reaches 60 hertz and will hold for about 30 seconds then it always wants to slowly rev up. Myself and my diesel mechanic friend have both tried to diagnose the problem but we are at a loss. We are both now leaning toward the governor Any more suggestions?

czechers1999

ETN550, first of all thank you for your input. It is much appreciated!!! now, if I may ask for some clarification. Are you refering to adjusting the governor linkage per TM 5-6115-615-34 on page 7-6 ? I am sorry I do not understand what u mean by "do the full linkage setup" thanks again, Lewis

ETN550

ETN550, first of all thank you for your input. It is much appreciated!!! now, if I may ask for some clarification. Are you refering to adjusting the governor linkage per TM 5-6115-615-34 on page 7-6 ? I am sorry I do not understand what u mean by "do the full linkage setup" thanks again, Lewis
Yes, that is the correct manual section. Perform all adjustments starting with the solenoid #2 procedure on page 7-5 and continue all the way to #12 on page 7-8.

Note: The fuel screw is important to get close. You will need a combination of loads or load that equals 3kw. Use the Kill-a-Watt meter or similar to measure loads and come up with 3kw. Note that loads can be fine tuned by ramping up or down the voltage. Use loads that are mainly resistive like heaters. As a check 3kw resistive heater will be near the .8 marker on the load gage. Only rely on the gage if you cannot aotherwise measure the load. FYI the load meter in my avatar is 4.0kw / 100% on an 016B.

What this fuel adjustment does is that it gets the governor weights in the max position at max load which means the weights have the most possible range and therefore, the most precision and control. It also limits the max fuel which protects the engine from severe overloads. Step number 11 of the procedure increases the fuel enough to cover some overload at 7/8 turn. It is okay to go a little more like 1 turn or 1-1/4 turn but the farther it goes then it will begin to relax the weights and they get less and less control.

It is kind of an interesting procedure whereby the mechanic is adjusting fuel down, pulling speed back up, more fuel down, more speed up until it can't make the load and hold the correct speed. Then the screw is increased to give some reserve fuel.

This is a great tune up procedure and I think (and hope) you get the results you need from it. If it does not fix it then you are most likely into the governor itself.

I recommend this procdure to any owner of these sets. the field adjustments described in other manuals tend to get the system out of whack to the point that the full adjusting procedure is needed to restore it.

Last edited:

czechers1999

ETN550, thank you so much for the great info!! I will attempt to perform the procedure as stated in the TM. Hopefully between it and your explanation I can figure it out. It sounds kind of complicated and may be out of my realm of knowledge but i will give it a try. Thanks again, Lewis

derf

The TMs lay it out so that your basic grunt can perform the task. You should be able to get it. It is probably a lot easier than you think.

edgephoto

Are printed versions of these manuals available?
If you hunt the internet you may find original printed copies. Sometimes they show up on eBay. Or you could just take the .pdf to Kinkos, Staples Etc. and have them print and bind you a copy. Printing and binding is not cheap but probably the same as buying an original. Also you could have them print it and put in a 3 ring binder. That is what I do. I have access to a high dollar printer so I printed 2 copies 2 sides with punched holes.

Yes, that is the correct manual section. Perform all adjustments starting with the solenoid #2 procedure on page 7-5 and continue all the way to #12 on page 7-8.
I'm reviewing the process and it's referring to another tech manual part way through the adjustment process; it references the different TMs for the different branches of the services. I've read several instances where there are differences in the TMs from branch to branch .... do you have any preferences?

ETN550

I'm reviewing the process and it's referring to another tech manual part way through the adjustment process; it references the different TMs for the different branches of the services. I've read several instances where there are differences in the TMs from branch to branch .... do you have any preferences?
You are referring to this text in the manual for the droop adjustment:
TM 05926B/06509B-12/TM 5-6115-615-12/NAVFAC​
P-8-646-12/TO 35C2-3-386-31 manual, paragraph 4-45.

Which is a single manual with this title, I cut and paste from it. Download it too, 288 pages

MARINE CORPS TECHNICAL MANUAL TM 05926B/06509B-12/1ARMY TECHNICAL MANUAL TM 5-6115-615-12NAVY PUBLICATION NAVFAC P-8-646-12AIR FORCE TECHNICAL ORDER TO 35C2-3-386-31​
T E C H N I C A L M A N U A LO P E R A T O R A N D O R G A N I Z A T I O N A L​
M A I N T E N A N C E M A N U A L

(sorry can't seem to turn off this bold face font) The droop is adjusted by making the bolt (#1 fig 4-36) longer or shorter as shown in the manual above. Droop is how much the Hz drops when the unit goes from zero load to full load. As the droop is made tighter for less Hz drop the unit eventually becomes unstable at no load and Hz will hunt up and down. Adjust droop for least amount of Hz drop from no load to full load while retaining stable speed at no load. It may not be possible to get to the 3% spec but it is usually close.

Then proceed with the rest of the adjustments in the first manual (the one you are in right now). It takes a while to do this the first time but it is all sequential and the adjustments should stay set for a long time without needing future adjustment. I think people try tinkering with the settings and they get things out of whack. The manual has "quick fixes" for the various settings intended for field fixes but only this full scale ground up tune up will put everything right. All of the settings interact with one another to some degree which is why it is most useful to run through the whole setup when there is a performance issue.

Last edited:
Thanks you. I went out this afternoon to start this process but the cold and wind combined with the generator sitting outside forced me to wait for a warmer day. Fortunately spring is quickly approaching; patience isn't one of my better virtues.

My attempted repair at straightening the bent throttle cable clamp wasnt sucessful so Im going to reattempt it with the use of a vice. In order to get my unit started and keep it running I've got to pull slightly on the governor linkage. Hopefully the adjustment procedure you mentioned will fix my problem once this clamp is straightened.

Czechers1999, how did you do with your unit?