• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help I.D. this engine

ccf460

My original thread about a possible IP problem sort of shifted gears into what deuce am I actually looking at, it is titled and marked as a 1952, but the general consensus seems to be that it was probably a gasser upfitted by the military at some point to a hercules multifuel, the only info that I can make out on the tag is "Hercules", "Multifuel", and 134 h.p. . I want to make sure this is not an LDS427 (they seem to have not as good of reliability record). Here are some pics of the engine. Pics of the truck can be found in the other post. It has a weird headlight assy. as well, maybe someone can shed some light on the matter, the headlights are under the marker lights in the tall slot on each side of the grill, instead of being on top? Why is this? Can it be reversed?

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My original thread about a possible IP problem sort of shifted gears into what deuce am I actually looking at, it is titled and marked as a 1952, but the general consensus seems to be that it was probably a gasser upfitted by the military at some point to a hercules multifuel, the only info that I can make out on the tag is "Hercules", "Multifuel", and 134 h.p. . I want to make sure this is not an LDS427 (they seem to have not as good of reliability record). Here are some pics of the engine. Pics of the truck can be found in the other post. It has a weird headlight assy. as well, maybe someone can shed some light on the matter, the headlights are under the marker lights in the tall slot on each side of the grill, instead of being on top? Why is this? Can it be reversed?
Yes, the headlights can be switched, they are like that because it was a early NON-winch truck, if it was a WENCH truck, they would be more prominent (in the higher spot)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep the headlights low if you're going to keep it non-winch. BE DIFFERENT! Everyone flips them and history loses the knowledge that low-mounted lights ever existed at all. How many guys here have the low lights? Not many. Like Hot Rod Magazine pitched about 20-25 years back when they encouraged folks to hot rod some weird stuff, the operative phrase is "DARE TO BE DIFFERENT"!

Katahdin

You'll need to unbolt and flip every component: headlights, blackout light, electric horn if you have one, and the rectangular plates. Chances are you'll need to replace the 12 rubber vibration dampening bolts that holds on the plates. When you go to re-bolt the plate you'll need to use the higher bolt holes that were unused before. There's also some bars on the grill you'll need to unbolt and flip to clear the headlight beams.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine is not an LDS 427. D turbo and FDC tell the truth. Has a gasser front fender on the drivers side as well. What does the data plate say? Pic of data plate? VIN number? Check passenger side rear engine is most likely bolted in place.