• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help I need a rear window with regulator and outside handle

ida34

I tried classifieds with no results. I almost have this thing ready for the road and I need a rear window, the regulator assembly, and the outside window crank (even if it is broken).

Thanks
Chuck

JAsher45

RE: Help I need a rear window with regulator and outside han

they are hard to find parts... i had to go to a junk yard that could locate one for me. $45 plus shipping and the crank i found on ebay for 20

ida34

hndrsonj said:
I would think they would be all over the junk yards.
Maybe in TX but in MI they are usually sent to the crusher since the trucks are usually rusted away. They also don't have enough of a need for older parts so instead they strip what they can then crush the rest. Window regulators are not on the top of the want list.

ida34

One of the big problems is that most of the blazers and suburbans used an electic window regulator. Finding a manual one is tough and like I said, in Michigan the older vehicles usually do not sit in the junk yard too long.

If no one on the site has an extra then I can try car-part.com and probably get one from a junk yard. I would rather get it from a fellow ss member but if not I can get this stuff new from LMC truck.

ojsdna744

I'll have a crank for the rear window with the handle broken off here in a few days. I just bought a new one from either Saturn or Memphis. (don't remember which one)

I'm not any help on the other parts.......

ida34

I'll take it if you want to part with it. How much did the new one cost that you are getting? My old one was broken but I disassembled a chrome one from LMC and put the guts in my black one. It looks stock but the inner part is still chrome. You can't tell when it is closed.

wyliek

if you find a used pw regulator ill trade you my manual one (electric is super convient), just the regulator. but thats real complicated. well nevermind i guess it wouldnt be worth the trouble, a new regulator is only 50 bucks from lmc, and glass could be located at the scrapyard....

not to steal your thread but while people are talking about back windows, a set of nice sliders fell into my lap a while back, but the seals are totally cracked and chitty, No one seems to have them. I asked the guys at a local body shop, and they could get similar seals, but they could only order sets of 100. any one got any ideas for me?? commercial window suplly etc??

gasser

dilvoy said:
Has anyone tried to use the Regulator and rear window from a Surburban? There always seems to be plenty of those vehicles in the wrecking yards.
From what years did the Suburban tailgates fit the K5 Blazers? I thought the rear section was wider, plus most, if not all 4x4 suburbans has the split vertical doors while the 4x2s had tailgates.

In search of getting the power motor and regulator, I used JunkYardDog.com and found several junkyards that had manual regulators for the K5s... so I know there out there. The glass will be tricky. My search came up virtually nothing, however I just bought two "parts" M1009s from GL and one of them has the rear-glass.

Ida34, if you can wait a few weeks, I will have a M1009 rear regulator for you.
Just PM me if you are intersted.

-graham

ida34

wyliek said:
a new regulator is only 50 bucks from lmc, and glass could be located at the scrapyard....quote]

How many years has it been since you checked LMC? Current price on manual regulator is $150. The crank is actually listed in several pieces that will cost approx $80 when purchased separately. The window is listed at $99.

I have said this before in this thread but I know I can get them online from Junk Yards but nothing is available locally for something this old. I know several SS members have scrapped these and hoped someone had something. Mine are totally gone so even a broken crank will save me money compared to getting it all new from LMC.

I can get all the parts I need from LMC but $400 worth of parts just to get the rear window working on a $1200 vehicle is crazy. If no SS members can help then I will get with the online junk yards.

ida34

I see now. I have regs for the side doors on my junkvee. I wish that was my problem. Thanks anyway. I may have everything covered accept the window now thanks to the fellow SS members.

BKinzey

I have all the parts you need including the window itself. Let me know if you still need them. Shipping? would a picture frame box work? I've never shipped a window before.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of things.

First is these trucks were made back in 84 - 87. And during that time frame, all the auto manufacturers FINALLY figured out 'commonality' of parts. So in THEORY a Suburban with either an electric or manual register SHOULD work. Note I said SHOULD.

Second, I have ALWAYS had this yen to put a pair of barn doors on a Blazer. I'm not gonna do it to the M1009 I am about to purchase, but I've seen a 'newer' Blazer that had barn doors instead of a roll up window. It looked WAY KEWL.

So, maybe this idea is for the birds, but there ya go.

jim

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wyliek said:
jim, i have always wondered if any one has done that. it would be awesome, but then you would sacrifice your camper top...
wylie
W,
Yeah, that is what has kept me from doing it so far. I ALMOST got a freebie Blazer top. I was going to 'graft it' onto the rear of my Suburban in place of it's rear hard top. But then you get back to barn doors with a removable top issue. I even thought about moving the top a little forward and grafting it there. Kind of like a centered removable hard top.

But the deal fell through, as freebie deals often do, so I just kept looking. Then I sold the Suburban. And now I think I am going to purchase an M1009 and an M101 trailer. We will see.

Has ANYONE taken a set of barn doors and cut them down so you could use the window from a tailgated Suburban as a flip up and then the lower half of the barn doors open as usual? Just curious.
jim

ida34

I had a 78 suburban and they were a small bit wider that the blazer. I was going to use the tailgate on my 78 blazer. They may have changed things later but I doubt it. The regulator may have been the same but making barn doors fit would have required cutting down the doors to make them fit based on my experience with the 78 model. Again, the body style essentially did not change until the early 90's and I would be suprised if they changed the dimensions of the suburban outside of a major design change such as occured in the 90's. I guess anything is possible.

wyliek

doesnt the back window on the suburban slant inwards, signifcantly more than a blazer??
i think a upper window that swings out on the camper top and just plain doors below, that way you can take the top off and still have doors...

ida34, are you sayin that even with out the window there too tall? if i could find a set of doors for free i would definatly try to make it work
wylie

ida34

They are to wide. The suburban is about 3 or 4 inches wider than the blazer an trucks. Window or not it would not fit. I know this for a fact on the 78 model year and I am sure they would not have changed it. I am not sure what exactly is suburban specific but I know the dash is wider and it can be seen as a larger area between the instrument cluster pod area and the ash tray. On the suburban I had there was enough flat area between the two to mount the rear window switch. Mine did not have the barn doors. I had the blazer style tailgate with rollup window. Again the tailgate would not fit my blazer. Too wide. I don't know if the window was set up to use the same window from a blazer or not.