• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help ID this 101 gen. trailer please.

AaronW

This looks like a M101(A1?) to me.

Converted to a generator trailer?

Does it have a MEP #?

What king of generators are these? 60HZ for sure?

I have an opportunity to pick this up from a private party. I understand that it is worth what the market will bear, and that $1.00 is a good price, but what I really want to know is, what is a fair price assuming the units run?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Trailer is a M101A1, not really a "generator" trailer. Gensets are the old style 3kw sets(gas), can't tell if they are ac or dc without seeing the control box on them. A clean cargo trailer seems to bring 3-5 hundred on GL. Not sure on the gensets, all depends if they are ac or dc and work.

ida34

This one actually is a genset trailer. You can tell by the built in fuel tank. I think the tank is the same as the one for the M715 or possibly the M37. I don't know if it has a specific M number but I have seen a few. Not to contradict you Mark but take a look at the fuel filler on the side. There was a specific purpose for the trailer and I think the racks on the side were for antenna sections but I can't remember for sure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming that they are 60HZ and should be, the gensets are MEP-016A. There is a PU # for this assy but I haven't the time to search that right now. I'd think $500 would be fair with gensets unknown to run. $850 would be close with 2 running gensets. Prices vary wildly. Most of the 3KW sets are rope start but the mil standard starter works on them. I have an MEP-016 with elec start and of all the gensets I have, this is the keeper.

AMGeneral

I have the exact same trailer/generator combo setup,it is the same fuel tank as a M37. Mine are MEP-016C,115 and 208 volt,3000 watts peak power ea.

They are rare,grab it and hold on to it!!

papercu

It is a M101 trailer that comes as a generator setup. The following info is for one that has one 10kw generator as "factory" and is from the manual.
The PU-375B/G is a self-contained, mobile, general purpose power supply. The set is comprised of a 10 kW, Model HF-10-MD Military Standard generator set mounted on a 3/4-ton M101A1
trailer and includes the components listed in table 17-1. The generator is powered by a directly coupled 4-cylinder 20-hp Military Standard Model 4A084-III engine". These can be found with one or two generator models and can come with or without the underbody fuel tank.
Also the M105 trailer can be setup the same way (different type generator though).
I have one with the one 3hw generator and I've seen one converted back to a regular trailer and I'm fairly sure that one had a M151 type tank for a fuel tank. More info and pictures can be found in TM 5-6115-365-15. Wayne

papercu

Here a picture of one with 2 3kw and racks, manual has it for "Brackets, racks, holders, and cable reels are provided for transporting and installing communications
equipment. Wayne

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good, glad you got it. Since you were asking about possible prices, what did you have to give for it. Also, figured since you have them, here's the difference between the MEP-016A and MEP-016C. The "A" has a conventional point type ignition and the "C" has a breakerless ignition. There are kits out there to convert the "A" to a "C". Judging by the pulley size, I'd say you got "C" gensets.

AaronW

Good, glad you got it. Since you were asking about possible prices, what did you have to give for it.

Seller was asking $800. I offered $700 just because I hate dickering and it seemed fair. Seller took $700, no counter.

I guess the previous owner had this unit shipped all the way from Germany. Everything seems to be in great shape. Just needs a new 101 trailer cover. Dry rot has set in on the old one making it very brittle.

AaronW

sitrep

Got to play with the PU today. After fluid checks and adding gas, both sets fired off! Both ran great after sitting for 10+ years. They came right up to 110vac/62hz.

Now I just need to build a cable and equip the house with a plug and X-fer switch.

Another quick question.......Was MOGAS leaded? Do I need to use a lead additive? Both units were rebuilt in '77 or so.

AaronW

oil filter?

I have done some internet searching. No joy search here.

Can anyone confirm that a Fram PH-16 is a direct spin-on replacement for the 4A032-2 engine. Has anyone done this? Pics?

Or, do I just need to order the cart. replacement from one of our favorite surplus dealers?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks