• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help ID this GENSET

ABN173

OK Guys help me out. I have limited information and NO pictures yet. My father bought this 1968 GENSET at a garage sale. here is the limited info I have so far:

Year: 1968
16 cubic inch 2 cycle, 4 cylinder overhead valve

NSN (not positive) FSN 28050724871

Model 28016 III

He says it has four wheels and fairly heavy.

I told him I'd try to find out something about it....Thanks in advance,

-Dale

ABN173

No clue, I am still waiting on my Dad to figure out how to download a picture for me......

Oh also he called me back to mention Continental Motor Co. had the contract

on that MEP 016 I did not see any wheels?

ida34

The engine is a 2A016. The NSN comes back to the 2A016-III. Two cylinder. The engine is 3 horsepower. Also, to convert a Federal Stock Number to National Stock number you only have to add 00 after the first four numbers. FSN 2805-072-4871 = NSN 2805-00-072-4871. It is not two cycle. It is two cylinder four cycle. Most likely a 1.5KW genset. I don't think the wheels are stock military.

Attachments

ida34

MEP-015A if it is a 60hz 120 volt AC model
MEP-025A if it is a 52 amp 28 volt DC model.

They came in 28 volt and 115 volt so make sure he know what he has before he tries hooking it up to anything.

ABN173

MEP-015A if it is a 60hz 120 volt AC model
MEP-025A if it is a 52 amp 28 volt DC model.

They came in 28 volt and 115 volt so make sure he know what he has before he tries hooking it up to anything.
Thanks, he says there is a box where you can change from 120V to 220V also.

ida34

I did not think they were 220 but I did not look real close. We had them for our FDC in when I was in the Field Artillery. I think we had the AC and the DC sets to run the computers and the radios. We bought some gensets on the economy in Saudi Arabia to supplement for out entertainment tent and such. They were honda's with the feature that shut them down when the oil was low. The sand fried them so bad that within a month we would run out of oil before we ran out of mogas.

ABN173

I did not think they were 220 but I did not look real close. We had them for our FDC in when I was in the Field Artillery. I think we had the AC and the DC sets to run the computers and the radios. We bought some gensets on the economy in Saudi Arabia to supplement for out entertainment tent and such. They were honda's with the feature that shut them down when the oil was low. The sand fried them so bad that within a month we would run out of oil before we ran out of mogas.
Thanks Chuck, I'm looking for a TM now. I remember when I was in Desert Shield 24th ID we did some similar stuff too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TMs are on the site. MEP-015A 1.5KW set by the description. They did have a voltage switch inside for 220. Cool little gensets unfortunately, rope starts and finicky.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We used a 1.5 genny for about 36 hours when my business burned in 2007...it was good for some lights and small stuff and was a Godsend until we moved in larger stuff.

That little rascal is thirsty for gas IMO though:-(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks